585,663 active members*
3,042 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Anyone running a laser with Topwisdom controller

I recently picked up a used 80w 1200x800 laser cutter and, after some investigation, found that it has a DSP controller from "topwisdom" and runs via a plugin in Coredraw v12 which pops up a small window with a "lasercarve" button allowing .out files to be saved to disk or transferred to the laser via USB.

I have it cutting fine (after replacing the mirrors and lens) but the user manual says that the software should have a kerf settign (they call it "error compensation") - here's what the manual says:

"Error Compensation: Applied for engraving error (-0.5mm ~ 0.5mm), errors of operation for closed drawings due to the diameter of the laser spot can be adjusted by the error compensation. For instance: when engraving a circle with the diameter of 5mm, without error compensation, the circle actually exported is with the diameter of 4.99mm, then you can input 0.01 in the option for error compensation to correct the error due to the diameter of the laser spot."

But I can't find the setting in any of the output dialog boxes.

I'm wondering if anyone is running this type or controller from coreldraw and actually has an "error compensation" setting visible.

Obviously I can offset the curves manually but it's be nice if the software did it for me.

I'm considering converting the machine to mach3 which means I can use CAM software to generate g-code with the cutter diameter set to the laser spot size.
    --
    Jon

Hi there
    which version of the topwisdom DSP is in your machine? there should be a extra software like lasercut xxx or so. does after sending the file to the laser pop up another menu? there you could make the settings.
    greetings
    walt

Quote Originally Posted by jallitt View Post
    I recently picked up a used 80w 1200x800 laser cutter and, after some investigation, found that it has a DSP controller from "topwisdom" and runs via a plugin in Coredraw v12 which pops up a small window with a "lasercarve" button allowing .out files to be saved to disk or transferred to the laser via USB.

I have it cutting fine (after replacing the mirrors and lens) but the user manual says that the software should have a kerf settign (they call it "error compensation") - here's what the manual says:

"Error Compensation: Applied for engraving error (-0.5mm ~ 0.5mm), errors of operation for closed drawings due to the diameter of the laser spot can be adjusted by the error compensation. For instance: when engraving a circle with the diameter of 5mm, without error compensation, the circle actually exported is with the diameter of 4.99mm, then you can input 0.01 in the option for error compensation to correct the error due to the diameter of the laser spot."

But I can't find the setting in any of the output dialog boxes.

I'm wondering if anyone is running this type or controller from coreldraw and actually has an "error compensation" setting visible.

Obviously I can offset the curves manually but it's be nice if the software did it for me.

I'm considering converting the machine to mach3 which means I can use CAM software to generate g-code with the cutter diameter set to the laser spot size.

TopWisdom is not Leetro. Do not use LaserCut
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

yes - topwisdom is a different DSP and won't run with lasercut. It outputs direct from Corel-12 (which is really useful).

Like I said, I have the software and laser working fine - but can't find the "error compensation"/kerf setting that's mentioned in the documentation.
    --
    Jon