585,885 active members*
6,328 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123
    Picked up a Spider 3D Print Tool from Rockcliff a few weeks ago and got around to cutting a mount for it. Still have to wire it up but it shouldn't be long before I can run some test prints. This is going to be fun.

Attachment 212608 Attachment 212610 Attachment 212612 Attachment 212614

The spindle with VFD is a significant improvement over the router I was using. The runout is greatly reduced and a large reduction in noise. I'm very happy with that upgrade and highly recommend it.

jckstr
    I'm thinking of building a Joes06 and have a few questions:
    I may want to cut some aluminum. How solid is yours? Your earlier comments sound very good.
    I will have to cut it our by hand. Tools available are: table saw, band saw, drill press, router. I was thinking of making templates for the parts where there are more than one and routing (routering?) them.
    Any sage advice would be appreciated.

Furze

I would say my joes is adequately rigid at the speeds I cut at which is 150 ipm. There are a few upgrades I would like to do that I haven't gotten around to to reduce gantry flex.

Cutting aluminum is possible if you take it slow with a shallow DOC.

There are a few build logs of people building their joes2006 with similar tools that you have listed. Definitely using a template with the router will yield better results. I really can't see any other option with hand tools as there is a lot of pieces to cut.

One thing that stands out in my mind when I was building is a large flat surface to assemble with a means to square it all. You can't count on the gas pipe to be perfectly straight when using it to assist in the assembly process.

I'm happy to share anything I have learned.

btw if I had to do it again I'd be very tempted to buy the kit from joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Furze View Post
    jckstr
    I'm thinking of building a Joes06 and have a few questions:
    I may want to cut some aluminum. How solid is yours? Your earlier comments sound very good.
    I will have to cut it our by hand. Tools available are: table saw, band saw, drill press, router. I was thinking of making templates for the parts where there are more than one and routing (routering?) them.
    Any sage advice would be appreciated.

Page 3 of 3 123