584,826 active members*
5,203 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123

Basic tutorial - Cutting long parts in two jobs.

Many of us have smaller gantry CNC's that we use to build our Joes2006. I have a JGRO and most of the parts can be cut in one job. The long torsion box parts cannot. The options are reducing the parts into two pieces and gluing them together or using them as a template to use with a hand router, getting someone else to cut them for us, or as I will try to explain cutting one long part in muliple cutting jobs.

I don't have any of the real Joes2006 files at work so I'll use simple drawing I made in paint. Material thickness is 1/2" for this example. It's important that during the whole cut to maintain your x & y zero.

Step 1 - long part

Nothing to say here. Just our work file to start with

Attachment 181307

Step 2 - Setup postioning pin cuts.

I start by drawing out a box to the length I want to break the cuts into. I then add 1/8" circles to where the postioning pins are. I save this file into two seperate files named part1_cut1 and part1_cut2.

Attachment 181308

Step 3 - Seperating the cut jobs. part1_cut1

Delete the section of your part outside the box.

This step will produce 2 jobs.

1 Drilling. Set to drill all 4 holes. Positioning holes 1 will be drilled to 1" depth and positioning holes 2 will be drilled to 1/2" depth. In my case I use 1/8" endmill.
    2. Profile cut the part. In this example there is a open vector which I cut outside the line.

Attachment 181309

Step 4 - part1_cut2

I open the second file part1_cut2. I delete all vectors within the box other than the positioning holes, then move all the vectors over until the second holes are on top of the first holes. I set a profile cut. No further drilling cuts is required for positioning.

Attachment 181311

Step 5 - Cutting parts

1. Run drilling part1_cut1. When complete secure the wood with screws into the first position holes. #8 counter sunk work well for me.
    2. Run Profile part1_cut1
    3. Remove screws and slide the wood until positioning holes 2 are on top of positioning holes 1. Screw in positoning holes 2 with the same screws.
    4. Run part1_cut2 profile.

That should do it.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRowntree View Post
    So true about the kid(s) and the bolts!
    As to the hammered paint+MDF, I always had to seal the surface very well or the light components of the hammered paint soak in and leave the mica bits on the surface in a silverish film. I used a thick water-based polyurethane from Home Hardware to seal it, and protect it from the occasional coffee cup.
    Almost missed this. Poly will certainly make coated areas water resistance if not proof. Easy to spray as well. I think I'll give that a try. Thanks Paul!

Got the gantry together. It'll have to come apart at least once more to attach the space plate for mounting the z-axis assembly and put in a 1/2" spacer for the top bearing in the carriage. I had to adjust the tension on the top bearing slides until there was almost not adjustment left to get out all of the play. After doing so I stood on the base of the gantry and tried to deflect the carriage. If there was I couldn't tell. A good sign. I didn't sand the rails so it's not as smooth as I'd like but the galvanizing does seem to be flattening out as I move the carriage more.

Time to build a table to put this thing on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6143s.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	181442

Package arrived. The microcarve z-axis. It's small and compact. First impression, this thing is not big enough to handle my router. 1/2" shafts can't be enough can they? We shall see but I could not deflect the rails by hand. Something about being case hardened. Fit and finish are impeccable and so very smooth. If it doesn't work out for my joes2006 it'll certainly see use else where. Maybe a A4 desktop router? 3D printer? Lazer cutter? Probably none of the above as it seems it will be up to the task of holding a 800kw spindle. Exciting. Sorry no pictures mounted yet. I rushed to the post office during lunch so no time to play. Maybe tonight I'll cut the mounting plate. Had to wait to confirm the mounting holes. Will try with MDF first. HDPE next.

This weekend I'll tackle the stand and bearing blocks. Probably the router mount as well. After that's done all I have is the long x axis leadscrew to arrive in the mail and the JGRO will be no more. Good little soldier but time to move on.

Name:	photo.jpg 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	182012 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1.jpg 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	182013

Got the z mounted. It is very solid. The JGRO is showing signs of wear and tear. The plate did not come out as nice as I would've liked. A new bit would help but I think the next step is to take down the JGRO to make room for the new stand.

Name:	IMG_6151s.jpg 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	182090 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6153s.jpg 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	182091

End of the JGRO

I cut the last parts that I would need for Joes2006 build and with that done came the task of taking apart the JGRO. It was a bittersweet day. It took me a great deal of time and effort to get the JGRO together and running. Sad to see it go but it was time. I can't believe how many bolts and screws was used to assemble the JGRO. Those and the spare parts will be put to good use on a new project for beginners in cnc routers.

Took me 3 try's to cut the bearing blocks due to my lack of concentration. Found the source of my 1/16" discrepancy. My x axis leadscrew was loose on one end. Ug. Used MDF instead of HDPE this time as I will cut new ones on the joes.
    During dis-assembly I was reminded of many lessons I learned. Most of all with wood glue is a far better fastener than screws when used appropriately and MDF has limits.

Name:	IMG_6187s.jpg 
Size:	177.7 KB 
ID:	182217 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6189s.jpg 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	182218 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6190s.jpg 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	182220 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6191s.jpg 
Size:	173.9 KB 
ID:	182221 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6192s.jpg 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	182222

Hectic weekend. Warm weather with no chance at rain. Came down with a cold or a flu Friday night. No energy to get anything done Saturday. Still not 100% Sunday but this was my chance to get some work done. I really should've had help during assembly but I'm stubborn and tackled it alone. Many bumps, bruises, and cuts later I'm got the base assembled. Like many I made a stand out of 2x4's. A lot heavier than I anticipated. Had trouble getting the gantry to slide around the dual rails. Then had troubles rails to fit in the end plate. Normally I like to take many pictures but being sick I just wanted it done. Very happy with the progress today.

Time for bed

Name:	IMG_6194s.jpg 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	182568

Just found your thread and have been through front to end (so far). I just wanted to make a comment:

Your kid is going to be a lucky one. I've got young kids of my own and I know the difficulty in getting anything done during the first years. I'm very impressed that you've been able to keep this going. My girls are in their beginning school years now and it's becoming very clear to me that our school systems are missing the maker movement. Just as kids don't learn sports in a classroom with desks and a chalk board. How are they supposed to learn about making with all the shops disappearing from our schools?

I'm in the beginning stages of my first build (KRMx02) and I'm thrilled. I'm excited for myself that I have this project to work on and to finally get into the world of CNC and start building things. I'm also starting to get my oldest girl excited about this machine too. She getting it as she's starting to come up with more and more ideas for what she's going to build on Dad's machine. The thrill of making things is infectious and she's catching it.

Your skill and experience with the JGRO and your new Joe's2006 will give your kid a leg up when he/she's old enough to get interested. Most kids are not going to have the access to this crucial skill while they are growing up. Way to go!

[quote]Just found your thread and have been through front to end (so far). I just wanted to make a comment:[\quote]

Thanks. Not sure if my daughter will share my interests but she will have the opportunity to learn. I definitely see some opportunity in crafts where they can make thier own signs and toys. Hopefully I'll have a kid who's into RC. I love the maker movement. Going to build a 3d printer soon. Perhaps a lazer cutter. So much to do so little time.

Build update, sorry no pictures.

Got the bearing blocks mounted. The to do list is getting short.

1. Cut and mount z-axis leadscrew (when it arrives).
    2. mount steppers. Since the electronics come off a working machine not much to do but plug them in.
    3. install spoil board.
    4. make new router mount backplate (table saw and drill press here).
    5. install limit switches.
    6. calibrate.
    7. cut neat things.

Got some time to get some standoffs made. Used 1/2" aluminum rod. I don't have a lathe so I cut the rod to approximate length on the miter saw then chucked them up in the dress press and ground down the ends flat by pressing down on a file. Came out nice. Note to self. Always center punch. Ruined a few standoffs being lazy.

Got it jogging at 300 ipm. Starts to bind up at 350 ipm. Not sure if that due to screw whip but more likely from the crappy computer I use. I know it can go faster reliably so I plan to get smoothstepper so I can use a newer computer. For now jogging 300 ipm is fine. Going to move my dust collection outside. The shop vac is quiet in terms of shop vacs but still too noisy with a baby in the house.

To do

1. Limit switches.
    2. Spoil board.
    3. Cable carrier.
    4. Outside vac enclosure.

Attachment 183780

Saw an add in the local classified for drag chain. Turned out to be a recycler. Picked up 8' of Igus 2500.05 for $25.00. I tried to offer more but the guy refused saying it was on the shelf gathering dust so a fair price but welcomed me to come back for other stuff. They had a ton of extruded t-slot, bulk aluminum at $3 per/lbs and much more. Think I saw some ball screw. If I had more time before work I would've filled my car. Next time I'm going with my truck.

Anyone know where to buy the mounting ends for this stuff?

Attachment 184660

Where is this recycler located?

Canada is such a big place.

Ed

Where is this recycler located?
    Ed, It's Foxy recycling in Ottawa.

Thanks

A little far. I'm in Cambridge

Ed

400 Km in Canada is not that far lol
    http://www.ftaguru.net/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by jckstrthmghty View Post
    Anyone know where to buy the mounting ends for this stuff?

Attachment 184660
    I ordered my ends direct from IGUS for $5 a pair. And they fit perfectly.

cut my first meaningful project. A sign for my little girls door. Just a simple pocket using cut2d. Plan on upgrading to vcarve pro soon.

Attachment 188054

Still have much work that needs to be done to the cnc itself. Just ordered a vfd and the spindle will follow soon. I'm not happy with the runout on the router I use and the sound is deafing in my small basement.

Got some mail and I'm very excited. 0.8kw spindle from ebay and a hitachi inverter. Haven't had time to wire it up but everything seems very nice. Came with 3 collets. One is 1/8 and the other two are metric. Interesting combo.

Attachment 191648

Finally got a few things done. Wired up the spindle and vfd, cut a new dust collection system and cut some parts for a foot stool.

Attachment 207980 Attachment 207982 Attachment 207984

Stool completed

Got it all glued up, sanded, and finished. The wood is maple ply and I used oil based poly for the finish. I'm pleased with the results. Going to try and make a table and chairs for the kitchen using the same type of design.

Attachment 212084 Attachment 212086 Attachment 212088

Page 2 of 3 123