585,753 active members*
4,698 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Controlling X/Y/Z table for imaging application

Hello,

I am currently building the hardware needed for taking high resolution panoramic microscope pictures.

Due to the very small image sector and the very shallow depth of field I need to take hundreds of pictures of each sector, and do that again for each sector. So like a Panorama, but instead of one picture of each sector that is stitched together I have hundreds.

I have two stepper-driven linear tables (X/Y) where the specimen is placed on.
    I have another high precision linear table (Z) where the camera is mounted (theoretical Step size ~0.5 micron)

The process would be: Move X/Y/Z in position, take image, (move Z, take image)*200, Then move X one step, repeat....

Would it be easier to adapt CNC/3d-Printer control board and software for that or write a short python program for a raspberry pi?

Thanks
    Daniel

Re: Controling X/Y/Z table for imaging application

Quote Originally Posted by DeepB View Post
    Hello,

I am currently building the hardware needed for taking high resolution panoramic microscope pictures.

Due to the very small image sector and the very shallow depth of field I need to take hundreds of pictures of each sector, and do that again for each sector. So like a Panorama, but instead of one picture of each sector that is stitched together I have hundreds.

I have two stepper-driven linear tables (X/Y) where the specimen is placed on.
    I have another high precision linear table (Z) where the camera is mounted (theoretical Step size ~0.5 micron)

The process would be: Move X/Y/Z in position, take image, (move Z, take image)*200, Then move X one step, repeat....

Would it be easier to adapt CNC/3d-Printer control board and software for that or write a short python program for a raspberry pi?

Thanks
    Daniel
    You could use a gecko g540 which will give you three axis control of your stepper motors and then almost any CNc software or 3d printer software would work. You could buy a used g540 on eBay and download Mach3 or Mach4 or a host of others. Older program like Mach3 were designed to use old parallel ports but most pcs no longer have that port. Most of the newer software like Mach4 requires a motion control card the the Ethernet Smooth Stepper. You can absolutely do what you want with a gcode program

Russ

G540 will be overkill current / power wise and is pretty old tech. Noisy.

A 3D printer board would do nicely for steppers.

What size / specification steppers?

What budget?

If you want good precision you probably need to be looking at high quality servos and linear encoders.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

small Nema17 steppers.

As the steppers only move some specimen around (a few grams to a few hundred grams at most) there will be practicially no load on the steppers. Mevement does not have to be fast.

Budget: As cheap as possible .

With those specs I thought that cheap steppers will do.

Will picture stitching rely on mechanical accuracy in acquiring the pictures or software matching elements in the pictures?
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

image stitching will rely on matching elements in the pirctures.

Hi,
    I use Mach4 and have done for some while. As you were describing what you wanted to do I could almost see the Gcode required, yes Mach4 could do what you want
    easily. I suspect though that Mach4 may blow your budget.

Lets start with just the basics
    Mach4Hobby $200
    Ex-lease PC, moderate spec $600
    Ethernet SmoothStepper $190
    C10 breakout board $23.00
    G540 $300
    48V power supply $50

Total $1363.

As systems go that is not super expensive, this could do multiaxis machining, for instance, so somewhat overkill for your purpose.
    I think some of the GRBL designs would do what you want but for a few hundred or less.

Craig

Ok, since movement is only really on one axis at a time and speed is not an issue I think I'll start with 3 stepper motor drivers on a raspberry pi, then I can get by <20€. If that doesn't work out I'll go the 3d-Printer-Board route.

Thanks for the input.

https://mcdonalds-secret-menu.info/m...eakfast-hours/
    Guys!! If you have no idea about What time does McDonald’s stops serving breakfast? More importantly, What time is McDonald’s starting its breakfast service?

If yes, you have come to the perfect place, cause here you will get all kinds of information you need to know about it.