585,602 active members*
3,544 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PC Build (~2000$ Budget)

Alright, Im looking to custom build a new pc in the next few weeks, as Intel released Ivy Bridge and Adobe CS6 just came out. I need a full build that includes the following for around 2000$ +- 200.

I am using this computer strictly for design purposes in Solidworks 2011/2012, CAM software, Adobe CS6 (mostly Illustrator, Photoshop, Dreamweaver and a bit of Lightroom), and a little bit of programming/writing code. NO GAMES/video chatting with grandma. I will be running windows 7 64bit OS.

I am NOT doing huge assemblies in Solidworks, i.e. 200 parts max (most of the time just integral stuff). Were not trying to create huge models and simulations of 2 year type projects. I am using the system mainly to program a Okuma Multus B-300 7-axis CNC, and Universal Laser System laser to cut parts, and possibly simulate some mechanical stresses.

Heres what I need/have been thinking:
    --CPU--Intel (Most likely Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge if Ivy's too expensive).
    --Motherboard--Ive been looking at ASUS (I like the new look of their BIOS) but am open to suggestions.
    --16gb RAM.
    --Graphics card--There is a lot of debate about this, im looking to any reasons/arguments. Needs to accept dual (2) monitors.
    --750gb-1tb mechanical hard drive.
    --~128gb SSD SATA III/(6gb/s) (Boot Drive).
    --Basic/inexpensive CD/DVD RW. Would use to burn an occasional audio CD and boot operating sys disks.
    --CPU Fan that can handle the heat if I overclock it a bit.
    --Fully modular power supply.
    --WiFi USB plug/stick so if I have to move it to a weird place or take it to another shop. Open to an internal PC card too.
    --Decent mouse and keyboard. Im going to use this thing A LOT.
    --Case with some cable routing would be nice, a little led is ok but im not looking for it.
    --(2) LCD/LED Monitors that are halfway decent and 20-24 inches. 1080p widescreen.
    --No speakers needed, ill just sing.

Thanks for your help, I know its a bit of a task.
    C.Fehringer

I can work on this in the morning.
    Asus MB for sure and Asus monitors 24" w/2ms.

Any restrictions on case height?
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    Wholesale Tool 3in1 conversion
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

FannBlade

Im not going to order for a few days so you have plenty of time, no restriction on the case. Im leaning towards this one, cheap and looks pretty nice.

Newegg.com - NZXT M59 - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I think Im going to get a Microsoft X4 keyboard also. Trying to stay cheap on peripherals and spend the money on the hardware.

1--CPU--Intel (Most likely Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge if Ivy's too expensive).
    2--Motherboard--Ive been looking at ASUS (I like the new look of their BIOS) but am open to suggestions.
    3--16gb RAM.
    4--Graphics card--There is a lot of debate about this, im looking to any reasons/arguments. Needs to accept dual (2) monitors.
    5--750gb-1tb mechanical hard drive.
    6--~128gb SSD SATA III/(6gb/s) (Boot Drive).
    7--Basic/inexpensive CD/DVD RW. Would use to burn an occasional audio CD and boot operating sys disks.
    8--CPU Fan that can handle the heat if I overclock it a bit.
    9--Fully modular power supply.
    10--WiFi USB plug/stick so if I have to move it to a weird place or take it to another shop. Open to an internal PC card too.
    11--Decent mouse and keyboard. Im going to use this thing A LOT.
    12--Case with some cable routing would be nice, a little led is ok but im not looking for it.
    13--(2) LCD/LED Monitors that are halfway decent and 20-24 inches. 1080p widescreen.
    14--No speakers needed, ill just sing.

1.Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

2. GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77
    2b. ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77

3. CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB

4. ASUS GeForce GTX 560 Two of these using SLI for triple monitors
    4b. GIGABYTE GTX 580 for dual monitors

5. Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache

6. OCZ Vertex 4

7. ASUS 24X DVD Burner

8. CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60

9. CORSAIR Professional Series HX750

10.D-Link Wireless

11. To personal

12. COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper This case has a ton of room behind motherboard for wiring,all fans controlled by single knob and has switch to turn off LED's. Also very personal choice.
    Easy to fit the listed water cooled system.

13. ASUS VS Black 23.6" 2ms LED Monitor

14. Need a mic?

$2045.00 to $2225.00 depending on options.

A lot of this is of personal choice(s).
    I have had very good luck with Gigabyte and Asus boards. The OCZ vertex SSD has great reviews and I love mine.
    Western Digital...dependable.
    Memory brands is like asking Linux or Windows, I've always had good luck with Corsair plus not near compatibility problems seen in the past with any brand since Sandy and Ivy.

Video cards are video cards most run on reference Nvidia architecture. When I purchase vid cards I usually stay one series behind latest release. i.e. 500 series vs 600 series due to extreme cost difference and usually will have no detectable effect unless gaming (maybe) or running very high resolutions across three monitors doing video rendering.

Three monitors is also personal choice but one I just can't get away from anymore plus with 2 cards you can span across all three as single window.
    I have built 6-7 builds using the Sniper case and just love all the extra room behind MB for wiring and is very well built and rugged. This case has been discontinued by CM so it may be found cheaper as a clearance. It is listed as a mid-tower but it's pretty big with a ton of room and is of tooless design.

Oh yea...Nivdia vs AMD! No exception for me here Nvidia all the way, same on CPU I'm Intel all they way although I used AMD for a long time back in the day. But Intel has won the horsepower race for sometime now. AMD's highly anticipated Bulldozer release was a pretty big failure.

Whew I could go on and on.

Hope this helps.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

These monitors are awesome. I got one a few months ago and just picked up a second one.
    Dell UltraSharp U2312HM 23" Monitor with LED Details
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Dang that's a good price on those. I have 2 older 20" ultra sharps. My dream monitor is the Ultra sharp 30"
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Just got this in my inbox. Great price and good features.
    Gigabyte Z77X-D3H motherboard review
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Thanks for your help guys,

Ive done a lot of research in the past day, and I believe it has to do with personal choice for the most part. I think ive narrowed it down to the attached config (I think).

Im going to sit on it for a few days (probably until sunday, when ivy bridge goes on sale) and have a few other people tell me what they think. Im also going to get two of those dell ultrasharps, thanks for the find ger21, daps. Any feedback on my list is more than welcome. I am going to post this setup in a few other forms for verification btw.

c.fehringer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen shot 2012-04-24 at 9.53.54 PM.jpg  

Your right it's very personal. Looks like a good list of parts.
    Let us know how it turns out.
    Might want to look around over here. OCN
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

I know little about the subject but last I looked Solidworks does not certify any "Geforce" video cards with their software. They like the "Quadra" series.

Does this have any impact on the decision?

Matt

These are for sale over on sellout.woot, dont know if they will work for you but they are pretty cheap. Connections are all in the stand though so you cant mount it other ways without modifications.

Woot® : One Day, One Deal

Here is the final build for anyone that is interested. I did a lot of research over the past few days, and I believe its a pretty good setup for the money (this may help someone else out I hope, if there planning to build soon).

I changed some of the components a little bit from my initial setup/spreadsheet. Everything is ordered besides the CPU, waiting for it to come on the consumer market. Thanks for everyones help, Im really excited about the ultrasharp monitors. I also found a 19 inch ultrasharp laying around my facility, so Im going to hook that up too.

Ill post some pictures of the final build in a week or two, when I get it all going.

Thanks again,
    c.fehringer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen shot 2012-04-26 at 10.27.38 AM.jpg  

Here is the finished build. It turned out really good and it is super fast. Im glad I stayed up till 1am sunday to order Ivy Bridge 3770k, it was worth it. If anyones looking to build a solid system soon, I did a lot of research on this along with cost/benefit analysis.

c.fehringer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen shot 2012-05-02 at 8.23.39 PM.png   IMG_0560.jpg   IMG_0562.jpg   IMG_0567.jpg  

IMG_0569.jpg   IMG_0573.jpg   IMG_0578.jpg   IMG_0583.jpg  

IMG_0587.jpg  

looks good. I love my G9 mouse.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Re: PC Build (~2000$ Budget)

Haven't you tried various options of making money on the internet? I'm pretty sure it'll help you save enough money way faster. For instance, you can think about betting, and with platforms like https://takebet.com/betting-tips/football, it won't be a problem for you to start profiting because, for me, it's a good source of additional income.