585,727 active members*
4,122 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

G540? or Individual Gecko Drives?

Hi All,

I'm not sure if I'm wasting money, but should I get the Gecko G540, or individual Gecko drives like 3 G201x...I'm not even sure which individual Gecko drive to get...And what electronic parts do I need if I get individual drives as opposed to the G540?

My machine has a 36" x 24" x 6-7" cutting area with round linear rails and ball screws with an aluminum frame. It will be used for cutting wood and maybe aluminum.

The reason for going with individual drives is that I can use bigger motors. Although I'm not sure how much power I need to run my machine....Are 381 in oz motors strong enough? And what's the strongest motors I can put on a G540?

Also, are stronger motors quicker than weaker motors?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm very green right now when it comes to the electronics....

newpatch

It seems like, with the cutting area you describe and the types of projects that you plan to do, the 381 in-oz NEMA 23 steppers will work just fine.

You also say that you're a little green when in comes to electronics.

I was in your shoes recently and decided to go with the G540. Works great and I have not regretted that decision for a second.

Good luck.

I've seen several of the more experienced members here recommend the G540 with the 381 oz/in motors so that's what I bought. I only wish I had bought them when I first started this hobby.

If you can use power supply less than 50V (which is probqably the case) get a G540. If more (or running NEMA34 motors) maybe the G201 or G203 would be better. You'd be surprised how much force can be generated with 380in-oz steppers...

Just yesterday I had some missed steps (poor judgement on my part) on my z-axis resulting in a .25" depth of cut through MDF at 60ipm. The 381 in-oz motors easily powered through the cut.

If it helps my machine has the same cutting area as yours and is R&P driven. I use the G540 on my machine.
    It will rapid at 600ipm and cut at 200ipm, the limiting factor is the routers ability to cut at higher speed not the steppers ability to push it. The machine will cheerfully snap a 1/4" solid carbide cutter and not miss a step. I am running only 270ozin motors. My power supply is only 36 volts and it should be 48 volts to match the motors so they are underpowered at higher speeds.
    I have seen video of a similar machine to mine with R&P drive using the G540 with 381ozin motors surface an 8' x 4' table with at 1000ipm.

The biggest motor you can put on the G540 is one that requires 50 volt at 3.5 Amp. The 381 ozin motor you have been looking at which I believe was made to match the G540.

So what are the advantages of large motors?
    They are more expensive and require more expensive drivers to run them correctly.
    They require larger more expensive power supplies.
    Large motors have lower top end speeds and a properly geared small motor can out perform a larger stepper.
    The larger the motor the more power you need to overcome the losses within the motor before you even start turning anything.

One of the biggest traps in selecting a stepper is the belief that bigger is better but it isn't true for steppers.

Personally I would go with the G540 option myself, but I'm bias

Cheers
    Peter
    The ingenuity of idiots is unlimited.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/cncnutz

Thanks all!!!

I guess G540 it is...

Thanks P.Passuello for taking the time to answer....

newpatch