584,879 active members*
5,053 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Axxus DB1V2.0 CNC Parallel Port Interface

Hybrid View

Axxus DB1V2.0 CNC Parallel Port Interface

Hi

I'm new to cnc. I recently bought a machine with a Axxus DB1V2.0 CNC Parallel Port Interface. http://www.members.shaw.ca/axxus/db1v20.htm

Although I've been trying to order a spare, I am unable. I currently run this to the Greco 201's and then to Pac-Sci nema 23 Steppers motors. I am building a machine in parallel to increase the work area and I want to duplicate the electronics as much as possible. Can anyone suggest how to get one or a suitable replacement.

Steve

I've heard that Dean stopped selling them. You might want to look at www.cnc4pc.com
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have one and I really like it, although I tried to order another one and didnt ever get a response from him.

Jon

Hi Steve, I also have two of those breakout boards, one I haven't ever used. I bought 3 of them about a year and half ago. The are top notch in my opinion. If you really want to keep your 2nd controller just like the first, and can't get another one from Dean, I would sell you mine for the same price I bought it for.
    Otherwise you should buy a breakout board from cnc4pc.com they have a good board at a great price.

Anyone know why Dean stopped selling them?

cheers,
    Mike
    www.cncfusion.com CNC kits for Sieg mills and lathes

Talking Thanks to Mike @ CNC Fusion I recived a DB1V2.0

Thank you very much Mike at CNCFUSION. Mike help me out by selling me one of his spare Axxus DB1V2.0 cards. I want to thank everyone at the CNC Zone for really helping out. To quote Tiny Tim "God bless everyone"

Quote Originally Posted by wisp View Post
    Hi Steve, I also have two of those breakout boards, one I haven't ever used. I bought 3 of them about a year and half ago. The are top notch in my opinion. If you really want to keep your 2nd controller just like the first, and can't get another one from Dean, I would sell you mine for the same price I bought it for.
    Otherwise you should buy a breakout board from cnc4pc.com they have a good board at a great price.

Anyone know why Dean stopped selling them?

cheers,
    Mike
    I hope you can help me. I cannot find my wiring diagrams for my Axxus Tech DB1 V1.1 breakout board or SD1 V1.0 driver board. I have some students at the university using these boards for a project and would very much like a copy of the wiring diagrams to help me and them out. Can you e-mail me anything? Do you have any info on hooking up 4.5v 1.4 amp steppers for power or torque? This info was on the website before it closed.

Thanks

Skeeter

Hi Skeeter, here is everything I had saved on the Axxus board, it is all for v2.0 though. I dont have anything on v1.0 Below is text copied from the old axxus web site. I have also attached some wiring diagrams from the old web site. If you need larger wiring diagrams, email me. The zone forum automatically resizes uploaded pic's.

hope this helps,
    Michael
    www.cncfusion.com

Connection information:

**WARNING**
    The use of CNC equipment is inherently dangerous and proper care and safety procedures should be followed at all times. Do not power up your CNC controller electronics before the controller software is loaded and ready. Failure to do so may result in unwanted axis movement and/or relay operation.
    NOTE: Axxus Technologies/Deans Hobby CNC is not responsible for loss or damage caused by the improper use of this equipment. You should always use a computer with a separate board for a parallel port. If you do make a mistake, and damage your parallel port during testing, you can easily replace it. Always turn the power off when connecting or disconnecting anything to the DB1.

The following information is a general outline of how the DB1V2.0 parallel interface should be used. Since every user application is unique, it would be impossible to provide specific wiring information for every user. The connection of the DB1 is quite simple and all connections are clearly marked on the printed circuit board. If there are any specific questions, please contact Axxus Technologies at [email protected] .

Power Supply
    The DB1V2.0 requires a 12V power supply. The current rating of the power supply should be at least 1A. This will provide ample current to drive the two 12V relays as well as the regulated 5V circuit. If no relays are being used, then a 400 mA supply will be sufficient.

Axis Outputs
    Output pins 2 through 9 are grouped together as the axis outputs. Most CNC control software packages can be configured to output step and direction signals to these pins. Other non configurable packages usually use these pins by default. The pins are used in the following pairs: 2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9. If you have a choice, it doesn't matter which pin in each pair is used for step and which is used for direction, just as long as the drivers are connected to the correct output. The DB1V2.0 also has a general purpose +5V supply and a ground for each group of axis pins. These are to provide a logic power supply for stepper drivers if required. Some drivers will need both +5V and a ground connection. Others such as Gecko drives will only require +5V or ground, but not both. Another use for the 5V supply could be to power encoders when the DB1 interface is used with stepping servo drives.

Click here for generic driver hookup small big

Click here for Gecko 201/210 hookup small big

Click here for Gecko 320/340 hookup small big
    Aux. Outputs
    The Aux. outputs are pins 1, 16, 14, and 17. Pins 14 and 17 are amplified using power mosfets to directly drive any 12V relay with an input current draw of 300mA or less. The relay coil can be directly connected to these pins. Pins 1 and 16 are 5V outputs and can be used to connect with TTL devices such as transistors, logic gates, or microprocessors.

Click here for Auxiliary Output hookup small big

Inputs
    Many software packages will allow the connection of limit, home , and emergency stop switches. Input pins 10, 11, 12, 13, and 15 are used to connect switches to the parallel interface. These pins of the parallel port are pulled up to 5V. To provide a low logic level, the pins are grounded through the switch. Although switches are not sensitive to polarity, the input screw terminals are marked with a plus and minus sign to indicate which pin is pulled high and which is ground. Some trial and error may be necessary to get the inputs to perform as required. Configure the software to be active on "high" or active on "low" as required for your application. Another alternative is to use normally open switch contacts or normally closed contacts to achieve the correct results.

Click here for general input switch hookup small big

Click here for an example of input switch scheme small
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  

5.jpg   6.jpg  
    www.cncfusion.com CNC kits for Sieg mills and lathes

Thanks

Thanks for getting this info on the axxus wiring diagrams. I forwarded the info to the grad students doing the project. Once again thanks for the info.

Cheers
    Skeeter

Hi Guys. I blew up my Axxus DB1 V2.0 board the other day and I need to know what the Transistor number is on the Q2 and Q1 so I can replace them. i too like this board and really don't want to try and fit another one in it's place due to space restrictions.

Any one have that info? or can you read the number on yours and get back to me.
    Thanks for the help.
    Richard.
    I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example.

HI Richard,

I am using one of these boards. Do you still need this info?

If yes, I can check for you later today when I get home. Let me know.

Mark

Hey Mark,
    Yes I still need the numbers and that would be great if you could get them for me. It's one of my favorite boards and I don't want to see it go to the tip.
    It's a shame he still doesn't make them.
    I have had mine on about 4 different machines and it's the one I use when designing my machines and getting them all right.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Rich.

Rich, as attached.
    Let me know if I can be of any other help.

Mark
    Montreal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo1.jpg   photoQ1.jpg   photoQ2.jpg  

Great stuff Mark. Thanks a bunch for that.
    I did replace one of the transistors with a slightly different type ( a bit quicker I think) but it never worked so I thought it was the chip. I had another good look at the board tonight and noticed the trace from the middle of the transistor was missing from the face of the board to pin 17. it must have blown off when the chip fried so I will solder another small piece of wire in it's place.
    I also had to replace the 7805 chip as that went by the way side as well. I don't know what caused the spike but most of my critical hardware is now on UPS's just to filter out any bad stuff and give me a bit more reliability.
    Once again, thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule.
    regards, Rich.
    (isn't the internet a wonderful resource :-) )

Re: Axxus DB1V2.0 CNC Parallel Port Interface

Hello,

I also own one of these boards in my CNC router. I am in the process of upgrading my spindle from a wood router to a China spindle with VFD. My router is already set up to turn the wood router on and off, but when i get the new spindle installed I would like to be able to control RPM with Mach 3 as well. Will this board be able to do this?

Thanks for the help

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by V8 BUG View Post
    Hello,

I also own one of these boards in my CNC router. I am in the process of upgrading my spindle from a wood router to a China spindle with VFD. My router is already set up to turn the wood router on and off, but when i get the new spindle installed I would like to be able to control RPM with Mach 3 as well. Will this board be able to do this?

Thanks for the help

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

No I don't think so. When I had this break out board on the RongFu mill drill I had to get an interface board to be able to control the spindle speed.
    I sold that RF machine many years ago so I couldn't tell you what board it was but I do remember I got it from CNC4PC. Perhaps just contact them and they'll fix you up.

Mark
    Montreal

Cool Re: Axxus DB1V2.0 CNC Parallel Port Interface

Byu one of these:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000..._content=47843

and add additional 12 to 24V power supply.
    I'm happily using two of these on two machines.

(Disclaimer: no affiliation with the seller in provided link. Link just for reference)
    Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.