585,683 active members*
5,136 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Exclamation Need quote on milling small 6061 aluminum parts

This might be a regular job for somebody. I might need 50 or more parts right now. Depends on the quote. If everything goes right then I might need about 50 parts every month.
    PM me your email and I will provide .dxf file.

How much do you want to pay per part?

Here I include a rough drawing of the part. Maybe it will help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I forgot to mention. It is 3/8" thk.

I have sent you a PM. If you do not get it please just send a dxf file to [email protected] and I would be happy to take a look.

Thank You

Matthew Weaver
    Back Country Machining
    [email protected]

all pm answered. If somebody did not received my reply please let me know.:cheers:

Never mind

Sorry, but I am no longer willing to waste my time (1 or more hours) to quote a part at say $4 and the purchaser coming back saying they only want to pay $1. My time is worth something. But if there is no chance I will get the job, I am not going to waste my time. Now, if you want to pay $40.00 per hour for quoting, I can apply the amount to your order as down payment.

The "never mind" post was a mistake. I was trying to delete a post that I post couple minutes ago. The job is still available. Txcncman if you do it for $4 I'm interested.

I looked at your PDF file. This is why quoting is a waste of my time if I do not get the job. I have to go back and forth with wannabe engineers and amateur designers confirming specifications for parts. In your case, your PDF file does not include radii for fillets or dimensional tolerances. I could quote it cheap at +/-0.015. At +/-0.005, the price goes up. If you allow 0.125 radii for inside corner fillets, the price is cheaper. If you want sharp inside corners, the price goes up tremendously. If you want 3/8" stock size and stock finish as the thickness, that is one price. If you want 0.375" +/-0.005" with a 63 finish, that is another price. I have used up about 15 minutes of my time just typing this response and we are not even to the actual quoting yet.

Txcncman I'm working right know too and cannot be here all the time. I'm really sorry for the delays. .375 thk stock no tolerance on that dimension. +/-.015" on all other it's fine. No finish on top and bottom. You can use stock .375" thk aluminum bar and leave the finish as is. Also corner radius can be .125" I will just need to make the bracket little bit wider.

Ok, I will private message my email to you then. When you get the final design and full specifications ready, please send it to me.

Here is the final drawing. Please let me know if I missed something.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    I looked at your PDF file. This is why quoting is a waste of my time if I do not get the job. I have to go back and forth with wannabe engineers and amateur designers confirming specifications for parts. In your case, your PDF file does not include radii for fillets or dimensional tolerances. I could quote it cheap at +/-0.015. At +/-0.005, the price goes up. If you allow 0.125 radii for inside corner fillets, the price is cheaper. If you want sharp inside corners, the price goes up tremendously. If you want 3/8" stock size and stock finish as the thickness, that is one price. If you want 0.375" +/-0.005" with a 63 finish, that is another price. I have used up about 15 minutes of my time just typing this response and we are not even to the actual quoting yet.
    Take typing lessons.. .... heck, most of that 15 minutes was spent on your own gripe :stickpoke

sorry... had to

Quote Originally Posted by annoying View Post
    Take typing lessons.. .... heck, most of that 15 minutes was spent on your own gripe :stickpoke

sorry... had to
    Right. And trying to educate why there is more involved in quoting that what most people are aware of. Besides, I am not really "working" right now. But I am about to leave out and probably will be gone actually working for several hours. Just getting a quote for his material may take up to 15 minutes.

Right. And trying to educate why there is more involved in quoting that what most people are aware of. Besides, I am not really "working" right now. But I am about to leave out and probably will be gone actually working for several hours. Just getting a quote for his material may take up to 15 minutes.
    It irritates me and I do very little of it. The most irritating is giving the "WAG" and not knowing where you'll fall at. As for material, on 6061 I always just run with $0.35/CI on stuff I've bought in quantities but could be as much as $0.60/CI when you have to buy a small bit the way you don't want to. Which is sad because I've paid as little as under $0.80/CI recently for 7075 and that was not a very large amount and having them cut it from plate. But I spect your prices may be different

I've cut plenty of aluminum, so I really don't like to quote steel, don't cut enough to visualize it anymore.

Okay guys. I believe the job is sold.
    Thank You all for all the offers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pysiek View Post
    Okay guys. I believe the job is sold.
    Thank You all for all the offers.
    Figures. See what I mean about wasting my time?

Figures. See what I mean about wasting my time?
    You are trying to win jobs on a hobby site.... What do you expect? Go out and knock on doors if it bugs you that much... (chair)

No, not really win. Just a fair chance. But I can't compete against someone willing to blindly underbid bid a job either. There is about a 50/50 chance what this guy finally gets as product won't meet specs...or...the guy making it will end up saying he lost money on the job. Just raw stock on this job will be near $2.00 each. I would be curious what the winning bid ended up being. Guessing around $2.50 each.

Page 1 of 2 12