585,997 active members*
5,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

it's not working!

I am trying to build a nice little CNC, and I want to test my computer to stepper connection. At this point I have Mach 3 installed, I have my 4 axis breakout board hooked up, my stepper drivers hooked up and a stepper motor connected to the driver and it is sitting on the work bench. I wish to confirm my wiring is sound. I have tried the jog control, and there is no action at all! Is there a way to be sure my computer is talking to the outside hardware? I have a windows xp box.

It would be helpful if you could post some more detailed information about the equipment that you are using and how you have wired it together.

That said, one fairly easy test to perform is to use a multimeter to check the voltage on the direction pin of one of the axes while you alternately jog that axis in one direction and then in the other direction (with Mach3).

A good place to do that is by measuring the voltage at the breakout board terminals. If you do not see a change in voltage (from high to low, or from low to high), then it might mean that your Mach3 configuration was incorrect, or Mach3 is not 'talking' to your printer port, or there is a problem with your DB-25 cable, or perhaps your breakout board is set up incorrectly or is missing its power supply voltage.