584,879 active members*
5,104 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > free solid works?
Page 1 of 2 12

free solid works?

I am wondering if there is a free version of solid works available for learning purposes. It doesnt need to be able to export anything. Just want to learn the interface.

i'm not 100% sure but I think that if you can find an install disk, SW will run for 30 days without being registered.

You might also contact your local reseller and see if they can get an evaluation copy for you.
    -Andy B.
    http://www.birkonium.com CNC for Luthiers and Industry http://banduramaker.blogspot.com

You can download a trial directly from their website, no?

Matt

Almost free Solidworks

The best thing to do, is enroll in your community college, then you can buy the "Student Version" of Solidworks for about $98.00 good for 12 months.

John

Theres a million torrents out there to get the full blown version for free

Quote Originally Posted by money runs View Post
    Theres a million torrents out there to get the full blown version for free
    Only if one is a low life thief.

Quote Originally Posted by lovebugjunkie View Post
    Only if one is a low life thief.
    Maybe you should think before you talk. Being a engineering student I don't have thousands to throw at solidworks for there product. Unless you want to buy it for me, then I will use torrents to get through school.

????

Maybe you should think before you talk. Being a engineering student I don't have thousands to throw at solidworks for there product. Unless you want to buy it for me, then I will use torrents to get through school.
    Still a low life THIEF

Quote Originally Posted by p38nut View Post
    Still a low life THIEF
    I got an idea. How bout you and the other guy but me a legit copy then.

Maybe you should think before you talk. Being a engineering student I don't have thousands to throw at solidworks for there [sic] product. Unless you want to buy it for me, then I will use torrents to get through school.
    It's <$100 for you. About what a textbook costs.
    -Andy B.
    http://www.birkonium.com CNC for Luthiers and Industry http://banduramaker.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by BanduraMaker View Post
    It's <$100 for you. About what a textbook costs.
    That's right if I was at a community college. At my four year school they don't have that. It's either work in campus lab or get it for your computer. I don't think the 100 dollar version has cosmos or flow either. I doń think this guy wanting the software needs that as he just wants to learn the software.

BS. they'll give it to pretty much anyone with a student ID: https://store.solidworks.com/student...?command=Step1

And, it's the premium edition to get you hooked.
    -Andy B.

Quote Originally Posted by BanduraMaker View Post
    BS. they'll give it to pretty much anyone with a student ID: https://store.solidworks.com/student...?command=Step1

And, it's the premium edition to get you hooked.
    I'm just telling you how we do it at Clemson. For the guy who is looking for solidworks do not pay for it and get the torrent. Really easy to get, don't have to do all the paper work for a student license, and you have everything you need for as long as you keep it on your computer

I'm just telling you how we do it at Clemson. For the guy who is looking for solidworks do not pay for it and get the torrent. Really easy to get, don't have to do all the paper work for a student license, and you have everything you need for as long as you keep it on your computer
    Downloading illegal software.................................Dumb.
    Bragging about how great it is on the internet........Idiotic.
    Identifying your school.........................................PRI CELESS.

I'm sure President Barker would be glad to know his students are bragging about being criminals and suggesting others become criminals too.

Matt

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    Downloading illegal software.................................Dumb.
    Bragging about how great it is on the internet........Idiotic.
    Identifying your school.........................................PRI CELESS.

I'm sure President Barker would be glad to know his students are bragging about being criminals and suggesting others become criminals too.

Matt
    I second that. I was an engineering student once. Even graduated and went to some graduate work. But i don't think you'll last very long in school with your pi$$ant attitude. Obviously you're not very smart.

Glad you started this conversation??:violin:

Quote Originally Posted by camarillojohn View Post
    The best thing to do, is enroll in your community college, then you can buy the "Student Version" of Solidworks for about $98.00 good for 12 months.

John
    Journey Ed is the place where I purchased my CAD programs when I was in school (purchased AutoCAD r13). They sell the 12 month license of SolidWorks Student Edition 2011-2012 for $140. That's only about $13 a month if you include taxes (which is about the price of a pizza), so it's not a bad price at all.

Stealing is stealing. Plain and simple. Student, unemployed, training, it doesn't matter! There are a ton of avenues to go down to get a legit copy.

Thieves are, by far, the lowest form of life.

I'm just telling you how we do it at Clemson.
    Money runs,

None of us are squeaky clean in this life but, as a (presumably) young engineering student, you'd be well served to realize that intellectual property is a big part of how engineers make money.

Stealing IP takes money from the pockets of people just like you.
    -Andy B.

agree

Quote Originally Posted by mdlmkr View Post
    Stealing is stealing. Plain and simple. Student, unemployed, training, it doesn't matter! There are a ton of avenues to go down to get a legit copy.

Thieves are, by far, the lowest form of life.
    I agree 100%.

I dont like software that are annual fee based. Regardless of how little it costs. E.g. world of warcraft. I like software like the old days where you pay once and you own it.

And 140 dollars is not cheap for a student who likely doesnt have annual income other than parent's cheques or makes minimum wage on part time. This is where I think autodesk is genius. They give out all of their software, all of it, full functionality to students for free. They are taking a page out of mcdonalds and buying future customer loyalty. When these next generation of engineers and CAD designers venture into the workspace or start their own firm, they may inevitably have to choose CAD software and they may very well choose things they are familiar with. And what better than the professional CAM they have used throughout college for free for a variety of projects? Why Autodesk Inventor you say? Sure. Lets face it, a lot of people intent on having software and unwilling to shed a dime will tend to pirate it. The people that ask the company about software are people that are either gonna get it legally but some not at a high expense, or not at all.

A lot of people or companies made these rookie mistakes. Ferrari not letting their brand name be used in some games. Prince not allowing youtube videos of his music and falling into oblivious for the next generation of music listeners. Solid works charging 140 dollars per year to students to use their software, when there are multiple equally capable CAD around, and especially since your employer will ultimately dictate your choice of CAD in the workplace. The only exception is if you are an entrepreneur and start your own design/engineering business, in which case solid works loses again since some students may not have access to their software as a student and will perhaps not want to try use it.

Sure, you can argue upgrade/upkeep fee blah blah, but that could also be spinmaster at work.

Page 1 of 2 12