584,837 active members*
5,381 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Stepper only going in one direction?

Stepper only going in one direction?

Hi guys,
    I've got a little problem driving a stepper motor.
    It's a 4H5618, google came back with some examples but i'm using a 12V one instead of the 24v one.
    The driver i'm using is from this site, so i've hooked the unipolar stepper in a bipolar way, meaning i left the common connection unhooked.
    The thing is i can only get the thing to turn in one direction, however i can get another (bipolar) stepper to work just fine.
    Anyone got any ideas? Cause i'm fresh out...

It sounds like you have two of the four wires backward. That happend to me when i had a stepper wired incorrectly.
    www.cncfusion.com CNC kits for Sieg mills and lathes

so switching one phase around should help?
    I'll give it a try.
    Oh btw, when i wire the motor in parallel (using the center tap and both coil wires) it doesn't do anything? is that possible?

Found the problem.. L297 dead, will only turn in one direction for some reason..

had that kind of problems with one of the DIRECTION pin not being wired in the parallel cable... got stumped on this one since I assumed the cable was all right... All is fine now but this can really give you a headache...

This might be it? Good luck, those can be frustrating...

Para
    Paraman, Parabeast, Paramachine, Parameter.
    The many in one and the one in the many.

Yeah, had to get out the oscilloscope on this one.. for one reason or the other the direction pin didn't pull low decently, must have blown something inside...
    replaced it and it works now.

@Scud: You should check why it was damaged, or the new one might go the same way. I looked at the schematics, and you should check the diodes D1-D8. Do not use slow rectifier type diodes in these positions. It is very important that they are fast! Also check that they are not blown, or your new L297 will soon follow.

I have used fast type diodes, but i think the problem was caused on an older board.The L297 came from a pcb a friend made some time ago, which didn't have any flyback diodes, and since the problem was always there, i'm thinking that's where it came from.
    I've checked and double checked almost every single pin on the board and couldn't find any (big) spikes, allthough my scope isn't that accurate...
    I'm going to start pumping files through my router today, so should i see any more problems i'll be sure to keep you guys up to date.