584,812 active members*
5,228 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Polls > What is your Favorite 3D CAD Program

View Poll Results: What is your favorite 3D CAD software

Voters
647. You may not vote on this poll
  • Solidworks

369 57.03%
  • Alibre Design

46 7.11%
  • Inventor

94 14.53%
  • Sketchup

59 9.12%
  • Rhino 3D

75 11.59%
  • Ashlar Vellum

4 0.62%
Page 4 of 5 2345
    I've only used SolidWorks and the Inventor. One of the advantages of SolidWorks is that you can find more reference information in the web than what you would find for the Inventor. I also find that it is easier to make changes in SolidWorks. The part the really really scks about SW is that won't be able to save changes to an ealier version of SolidWork.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonelix View Post
    I've only used SolidWorks and the Inventor. One of the advantages of SolidWorks is that you can find more reference information in the web than what you would find for the Inventor. I also find that it is easier to make changes in SolidWorks. The part the really really scks about SW is that won't be able to save changes to an ealier version of SolidWork.

I found that to be true with ViaCad recently also. I have the previous version from current. My son created some things with the 7 day trial of the current version and I could not open any of them. However, I was able to open all of the export files including STEP files which I can also manipulate unlike STL and IGES files which I can only view and export to.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

I'm using Inventor and I'm very comfortable to do any job, to make any changes or to save into any format. Used before Acad but wont go back.

I say Inventor only because we have AutoCAD at our shop and both are native .DWG files, but I also really like Soldiworks.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    The question is not that simple. From a professional standpoint, you need to look at the total art-to-part cost and efficiency. On the CAD side, Inventor was awesome to learn on, but not very stable, so after some years I moved to Solidworks which I really like, but getting my 3d model to a cuttable part is a total PITA. May as well just do in autocad and dump to master cam or just use master cam end-to-end... That said, I still do my full design in solid works, then spend way too much time re-doing and editing g-code in master cam, finally tweaking in NC (Mach3)

I'd like to find an affordable integrated cam solution that works out of the box with solid works that doesn't totally suck - Most are either way more than I need, or missing basic functionality. If I could find a good solution, then I'd be a happy camper.
    Try HSMWorks...

30 years in CAD: Solidworks is the best.

In 1982 I was appointed the Director and Chief instructor of an Authorized AutoCAD training center. In 1993 I jumped from 2D design to 3D solids when I started using PRO Engineer. It was powerful but between the horrible user interface and the need to learn Unix, it was less than the best solution for the masses but as an Applications Engineer for a Pro E VAR, I got Pro E and a Silicone Graphics workstation for free. So I didn't complain.

In 1995 Solidworks approached us and asked us to be the first dealer in the USA. We did and it cost us the Pro E franchise but we didn't care. nor did I. I got and sold one of the very first seats of Swks. Was excited beyind meaure and I still am. I've used every release of Swks ever since.

Frankly, Swks was best when the Engineers influenced the development and the enhancements. However, at some point the Sales people started exerting a greater influence. The changes made came at the expense of needless complexity which has made the interface less than intuitive. I have every release of SolidWorks ever invented. I also have the latest release of Catia as well as a few seats of Pro E.

With all that capability, I choose an eleven year old version of SolidWorks for all my personal work and for contract work for clients. The fundamental power is there. There is hardly a thing I can't do with it that users of the 2012 versions can do. Granted I can't open a model designed with more recent versions but so what? If it's that important they'll IGS it to me but more often than not it's a none issue.

The most valuable attribute of anything that allows self expression is that it be intuitive, like driving a car or playing a musical instrument after 25 years. You don't think of it. . . . it's transparent and you simply create.

As for difficulty exporting to Master-Cam. . . .that came as a surprise. We sold Mastercam too and the interface was as easy as pushing a button.

! have been out of the CAD-CAM vendor business for about 10 years and do not miss it one bit. I'm a "hired gun" now, a contract designer with a very strong manufacturing history which clients value. I'm a problem solver who develops solutions using SolidWorks and when its done, I leave.

At the request of others, I've tested and used Alibre. I used to recommend it when it was still free. It's OK. Just OK but IMO it's not ready for prime time. If you are running a simple 2D router table and do not need 3D capability, I would suggest AutoCAD light. DXF Export files should be more than adequate for generating even the most complex router tool paths.

Clear Skies!

L.J.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffery926 View Post
    I never tried SolidWorks, so I can not do a comparison of the 2, but Cadkey was the first 3D cad program to run on a PC. With that being said, why is Cadkey/KeyCreator not in the poll??? :stickpoke
    CADkey went bust because it simply could not keep up with true 3D software.

It was only a wire frame program and while it was still popular with the mold designers as recently as 2008, most all abandoned it because:

1. the software was no longer supported
      2. it could not export the complex surface information needed generate tool paths for creating cavities, hobbs and EDM electrodes.
      3. Customers would show up with true 3D models and importing the information into CADkey was a nightmare.
    I still have a seat of it here somewhere but can't think of a reason why I'd want to even install it.

L.J.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingJaguar View Post
    CADkey went bust because it simply could not keep up with true 3D software.

It was only a wire frame program and while it was still popular with the mold designers as recently as 2008, most all abandoned it because:

1. the software was no longer supported
      2. it could not export the complex surface information needed generate tool paths for creating cavities, hobbs and EDM electrodes.
      3. Customers would show up with true 3D models and importing the information into CADkey was a nightmare.
    I still have a seat of it here somewhere but can't think of a reason why I'd want to even install it.

L.J.
    Cadkey is still going strong and is now called KeyCreator. What planet are you from?

rude allegiance

Quote Originally Posted by jeffery926 View Post
    Cadkey is still going strong and is now called KeyCreator. What planet are you from?
    Your rude allegiance to antiquity says it all. It's going so strong it didn't even make minor mention on the popular list.

L.J.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingJaguar View Post
    Your rude allegiance to antiquity says it all. It's going so strong it didn't even make minor mention on the popular list.

L.J.
    You still did not answer what planet your from. Did you not understand the question?

Quote Originally Posted by jp32 View Post

On a related note, while RhinoCAD is great, avoid RhinoCAM like the plague. They have a license to the name, but it is not the same company, the same software quality, or the same support. I don't have anything good to say about it.
    Then what do you use for cam? I use Rhino cad and cam, no issues here.

Love to use Inventor and all the added modules/content it has. Use it for Automotive design mostly. Also have used UGS NX 7.5, ProE, SolidEdge, AutoCAD, and have attempted SolidWorks. UGS NX gives me feature errors too much and has unusual naming conventions, ProE is just awkward compared to Inventor and NX. Ditto on SolidEdge. AutoCAD should only ever be used for 2D. Never got Solidworks to work due to graphic card compatability issues. (Not sure why because I had a GeForce 310M with CUDA capability at the time) Last I tried to use SolidWorks though, there were commands missing from the student version that I desired to use in softwares like UGS NX 7.5 or Inventor. (Even ProE!) I'm still a student, but considering how much free software Autodesk lets us use/have, I couldn't be happier. I'm sure my attitude will change when I have to start purchasing licenses. -.-

Love SolidCAM/InventorCAM though. Once again I'm sure I'll hate it when I have to buy a license. Haha.

Solidworks.

They are a cranky company, and their profit model has simply left earth's orbit. On the other hand, it is pretty functional, easy, and if you get in a recent release year, you are likely good to go for a looooong time as long as you don't need to talk to future versions. I purchased it years ago, and it still performs 98% of what I need it to do (vendor part imports, original design work). You can get "caught up" to the present year for a small fee (a few hundred bucks plus maintenance) if you are sorely tempted to have the cool new startup icons on your screen....but I have no need for them.

SW ports to CAM very well (I use Cambam ($200) and HSMWorks express (free), and have had perhaps 2-3 cases in years where I needed to consider anything else to make excellent parts. 2D mill work is instantaneous. 3D mill work (Cambam) is really pretty seamless.

I also have an old seat of Mastercam. I have used it and Gibbs (much better, IMHO) for many years. When I have to. I just don't see the point of it any more, and their price lists read like an article from the Onion (humor newspaper), especially for meat and potatoes CAM work. Mastercam is a lot better at selling expensive software with its brand than making that software earn its price.

I do use some other packages when I do work for others. I'm most cost-effective when I use my old SW/HSM/Cambam combo, as much as I like trying new stuff.

Not listed but I like Gibbscam
    www.WebMachinist.Net
    The Ultimate Online Source for Machinist Related Stuff!

autocad.. and i think they will stay the #1..
    tough other programs has more feature some, or any other advantage.. for the public they were the first acessible cad..

also as autocad is a very open program, trough on lisp and arx the most ""developed"" program by users..

als draftsigth, what very much looking and working like autocad..

anyone got using autocad... by any reason they will return.. time by time..

Half of page goes POOF!! Gone!!

Why does post #41 to #55 disappear after a few seconds.
    Refresh and they come back, then POOF!!
    Happens in Firefox and IE
    Have ad blockers in Firefox, but not IE.

Now you see it page #41, advert, then #42 . -- gets back to here with refresh.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Poof it is gone.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	180447

Now you don't!! Heading still the same 41-75 but now just advert and starts at 56???
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Poof it is gone2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	180446

Still can't see post 42 to 75. Poof. The page refreshes and they are gone.
    It appears to be the ad insert logic that appears after first post on page.
    It refreshes, somehow and eats 33 posts.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

neil

possible its fixed since..

now I don't seeing any error..

have you tried visualcad?
    it comes with freemill.. you have to see it to believe.. only """drawback"" it saves in 3dm format, but can import dwg, rhino5 3dm format..
    also converts igs and 3dm to stl format..

Inventor i love it!

Verstuurd van mijn GT-P5100 met Tapatalk

Autocad will always be my go to for cad 2d or 3d.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    AutoCAD.

Because I'm faster with it than anything else.
    Turbocad for the same reason. It will also do sheet metal bends and unbends for you as well as some photo realistic rendering.
    The more features you learn, the more powerful the software, but that goes for any of it I guess.
    Lee

Page 4 of 5 2345