585,922 active members*
3,784 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HAAS VF1 additional sensor

Team,

I've wired new sensors into PLC's and other I/O style boards before, but never in a CNC. I'm wondering if anybody has a basic step-by-step for wiring in an additional sensor on a HAAS VF3. It's a 1998 machine. It would be one discrete on or off sensor, so nothing fancy, then my CNC programmer could figure out which code to look at once I get it wired up.

Just the basics would be a great start for me. Really I need to know where to tap into power, then a common and then where the signal goes, but it's not super clear in the panel.

Any direction would be great.

Regards

What are you trying to use it for? Do you have macros enabled?

This would be a check to see that the pneumatic clamp is engaged. We've had some issues with the manual valve not being clamped and then we run the process.... I guess for that matter we could do an output related to the cycle start and automatically clamp it.

We run high volume Aluminum castings through our CNC's some running 24-6 and we have pneumatic clamping with a manual solenoid right now. We've both broken taps as well as shipped bad parts by not clamping and I either need to tie in an output or an input to poke-yoke this thing.

What do you guys do when you need something like this? Call in a tech? DIY? What's up.

P.S. macros??? not sure, does this make more sense as I've explained it here?

I have done something similar using the door switch circuit. Your machine will have mechanical switches and all you need to do is put in another switch actuated by the clamoing mechanism. It could be a pressure switch or a microswitch somewhere on the clamp.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Look up how to use the M code relays in the manual. You can add M code to your g-code to send and output and wait for an input. Thats is about as complicated as you can get without having macros activated. Sounds like all you need is one input so if you can rig something that will make a closed circuit when the clamp is actually clamped. You can use that as the F-in on you M code relay and have your program wait for the signal. If you had macros you could write a macro to test the condition and repeat trying to clamp the part as many times as you like before it alarms out. You also will most likely have spare inputs you can access to hook your sensors to. Without macros your very limited.

I didn't think about tying it into the door switch. Are you tying into a stand-alone solenoid and doing the output or tying in another sensor in series to the door sensor?

If it was the latter then all I'd need to do is power the sensor with 110 or 24 V or whatever is available then put that signal to a relay that closed the, now 3 part series switch for the door sensor.

If I did the former, I would hook up a relay to the door sensor and power the relay to send a signal to the solenoid for output

Huh, pretty creative, good job. I'll draw something up and see if I have all the pieces / parts.

I use the Mcodes.
    Reason is, if the operator knows how to bypass the doors, he just bypassed your safety circuit.

My system was just a microswitch in series with the door switch. Actually I think it was in series but I did this about ten years ago. You will have to check how the door switches work; open circuit for door hold in which case they will be in series; or closed circuit for door hold in which case it is parallel.

Using the M-Fin signal as DaOne suggests is also an option but it involves a bit more wiring. On later model machines which use proximity detectors on the doors it is the easiest option.

On much later model machines Haas has already included connections points on the control board to wire in a micrswitch to check clamp operation. I have seen a write-up on this but cannot remember the details.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I'm looking right at the M-codes section in the operators manual titled:

M-Code relays (duh) So I feel confident wiring in an output to the machine. it's just a standard output board,

Now, is there a similar panel for inputs? Does HAAS ever set aside a couple bits for additional inputs and put it in a bank like this?

Anybody know where to find a 'write up' like the one Geof was talking about to wire in a micro-switch? That's a bit easier.

I guess wiring up the output makes the process a bit faster, (taking a clamping step out of the process... but it would eliminate the 'loose part causing sloppy hole" issue.

Let me know if anybody finds a write up... it's a VF1

Tried to upload circuit board pics, but I'm not smart enough.

I'm seeing on another panel there are a bunch of P values. One specifically says P21 and has three prongs and says +12 V.

Safe to say that it's a +12V, Com, Signal spot and the program can look for the signal to be on / off?

I think I'm going to do the output anyway, but still just curious. Does that mean HAAS sells the micro switches that hook up to the back (however all i need to know is which is which and I can wire it myself, just curious if anybodies been down that road.