584,814 active members*
5,227 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EZ-CAM Solutions > Newbie needs help w/ version 6.2.1

Newbie needs help w/ version 6.2.1

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a BP series I w/ the old tape drive and a computer system loaded with the EZ-CAM version 6 software. Unfortunately the mill didn't come w/ any manuals or documentation regarding the ezcam software. I'm self taught in solidworks so hopefully I can figure out this ezcam software. Should I upgrade to a newer version? Will a newer version run my mill w/o any significant hardware upgrades? Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to get started using the version 6 software? Thanks.

My BP

Thanks!

Nothing huh?

RS232

It is possible to send a file to your Bridgeport via RS232 through EZ-CAM. Contact them at ezCam Web Site

Yeah, I contacted them. They just want to sell me V19. I was hoping to get a little assistance from anyone on here running a similar setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Master_CNC View Post
    It is possible to send a file to your Bridgeport via RS232 through EZ-CAM. Contact them at ezCam Web Site
    the transfer side of ez-cam is called ez-utilitys, i cut my teeth on version 6 which we brought back in 1994 from bridgeport with a new interact machine.
    from memory it ran under windows 3.11.
    i may still have the old manuals at work i will have a look ( they may have ended up in the bin) i am currently running version 16 myself which is a far more advanced program than the old version 6 i learnt on.
    i will have a look for the manuals and let you know
    regards
    mark

That's exactly what I have. Windows 3.11 and all. I would be eternally grateful if you did have access to the manuals. I wouldn't mind upgrading to a newer version I just don't know if it will work w/ my BOSS 5 controllers and step motors. I may just switch everything over to the hillbilly BOB and MACH 3. Ultimately I want to be able to import cad files from solidworks to the bridgeport's cnc software.

Thanks for your help

good news

right i have found 2 manuals. 1 is for the ezcam 2d version 6 and includes the utilitiys software instructions and includes cable wiring etc and the different instructions for the different controllers and among them is the boss 5 controller. the second manual is for the ez-cam 3d.
    if you let me have your email i could scan in the pages with regards to the boss 5 and email them from home to you.
    you are welcome to the complete manuals if you wish but they weigh about 4kg and i am in the uk so postage might be an issue.
    regards
    mark

That would be most appreciated. My email is [email protected].

Thank you so much Mark.

have just sent you an email with boss 5 pages attached.
    regards
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by bearanddragon View Post
    Hi everyone, I recently purchased a BP series I w/ the old tape drive and a computer system loaded with the EZ-CAM version 6 software. Unfortunately the mill didn't come w/ any manuals or documentation regarding the ezcam software. I'm self taught in solidworks so hopefully I can figure out this ezcam software. Should I upgrade to a newer version? Will a newer version run my mill w/o any significant hardware upgrades? Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to get started using the version 6 software? Thanks.
    I'd recommend that you not only hang on to V6.2.1 but it is the handiest version BP ever produced and you take the time to learn how to use it!! Seriously I can think of no less then 6 other shops in my area besides myself that still use it as our daily software of choice for all the simple day to day programming. It's fast (once you have a handle on it) with my typical programming time averaging less then 15 minutes per program. Same with everybody else that knows what they're doing with it. I did purchase newer versions but they sit in the box. For top ended programming 3d demands I use much more expensive software. If you send me a pm I'll see what I can do to help understand and run with 6.2.1
    Cool software!! I definitely give 6.2.1 a big thumbs up! I can only think of a few software programming packages has stood the test of time like this 1 & I can count them on 1 hand.

EZ-CAM 3D

You should definitely check out the videos on EZ-CAM's website, their 3D has become more powerful and easier to use.

I need the manual for Boss 5

Quote Originally Posted by robinhood2b View Post
    right i have found 2 manuals. 1 is for the ezcam 2d version 6 and includes the utilitiys software instructions and includes cable wiring etc and the different instructions for the different controllers and among them is the boss 5 controller. the second manual is for the ez-cam 3d.
    if you let me have your email i could scan in the pages with regards to the boss 5 and email them from home to you.
    you are welcome to the complete manuals if you wish but they weigh about 4kg and i am in the uk so postage might be an issue.
    regards
    mark

I need the manual for Boss 5,
    me mail, [email protected]

I have used version 6.2.1 since we upgraded from an earlier version. I still use it on a daily basis. I think I know all of its strengths, weaknesses, nuances and foibles. I have learnned a lot of ways to get around its' limitations. We started out with about version 3 or so. It was so long ago, I don't remember. We never used anything else. The school for the programming software was conducted by the local dealer in Rochester, NY, now out of business, and it lasted 5 days. I tried MasterCam, but it was too much for what we needed. I have only had a handful of parts in over 20 years that needed anything more sophisticated than V6. I run it on almost any computer. It is a bit of a memory hog, but
    I basically have a computer dedicated to it. It will run on any version of Windows from 3 to XP, maybe higher. The correct name for the communication utility is EZ-utls.exe, and it is usually found or placed in the uppermost directory of EZ-Cam. If you haven't already set it up, I can provide the settings that I use for my Boss 5 and Boss 6 B'ports. I can explain how to make an interface cable or I have a spare one I would sell you if you don't want to make one. You also need to make a couple settings on the CNC if your machine is anything like mine. One thing to keep in mind is that you have 1980's technology, so lightning uploads/downloads are not possible. The optimum upload/download speed between computer and machine is 2400 baud. Any faster and you will probably get errors. Also, your programs need to be absolutely clean (no man-readable text, no letter "O", no semi-colons, like in a lot of other programs, etc.) and as compact as possible (due to early machines' memory limitations). If you have an old machine on a par with a B5 or B6, you should study how to do macros, repeats and zero shifts. They are al important ways to keep programs short. I can also explain a lot about that if you'd like. If you haven't figured out the interface and/or have other problems with either EZ-CAM or upload/download details, send me your question to my private e-mail, [email protected]
    I also have a complete manual for Version 6.
    Fred Howe
    R Manufacturing Company - Lawless Drives
    Owego, NY
    607-687-0143