584,802 active members*
4,941 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Machine door safety lock

I have a Matsuura MAM 72-25V with a Fanuc G-Tech 30i control and was wondering if anyone knew how to enable this machine to run with the door open? Set-ups are a PITA when trying to watch for spindle/table clearance thru the window! I know there is a parameter for this but just don't know what one. Any help would greatly be appreciated!!!

Most builders have now removed the enable/disable parameters on all machines. Easiest way is to make a new key and shove it in the lock for set ups, then remove it when the operators come around.

Thanks UTT. I will give that a try!

Some machines use a magnetic proximity switch...stick a magnet on it and it's happy. Other machines use a micro switch... find it and wedge or tape it closed.

In your wiring diagram, there should be a switch hardwired for the door... if you can find it, you can wire in a switch on the control to override the door. Just be careful, it opens up a whole liability can o' worms.

I don't recommend this at all!

To many people think that they can remain injury free doing things like this and then end up leaving body parts in the machine. By the way I'm speaking as a guy that has spent the majority of his life in factories maintaining machinery and has been called far to many times to "check out" a machine after it has been tampered with. It is a big downer each and every time, because the calls never come in until after an injury.

It isn't like I don't understand the need here, it is just that people become very complacent doing these sorts of things and get to the point where they think they can beat the machine or know exactly what the cycle looks like from previous experience.

As an aside if you are worried about running a tool into the table why not make use of soft limits?

Quote Originally Posted by jkowal View Post
    I have a Matsuura MAM 72-25V with a Fanuc G-Tech 30i control and was wondering if anyone knew how to enable this machine to run with the door open? Set-ups are a PITA when trying to watch for spindle/table clearance thru the window! I know there is a parameter for this but just don't know what one. Any help would greatly be appreciated!!!

There's a dozen reasons for bypassing door safety interlocks.

Not the least of which is being able to proof setups and programs, but other times when you have a part that is too big for the normal envelope, or special fixturing, vacuums, chip clearing without interrupting machining, blowing out holes, in process checking,...etc., etc.

Most of us do not take the disabling of safety devices casually... we know full well why they're there. From 1st hand experience too.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    There's a dozen reasons for bypassing door safety interlocks.

Not the least of which is being able to proof setups and programs, but other times when you have a part that is too big for the normal envelope, or special fixturing, vacuums, chip clearing without interrupting machining, blowing out holes, in process checking,...etc., etc.

Most of us do not take the disabling of safety devices casually... we know full well why they're there. From 1st hand experience too.
    Wouldn't that be second hand experience since the first hand got caught up in the machine works? LOL

And thats why I said to remove the key when the machine is turned over to the operator.

"Some machines use a magnetic proximity switch...stick a magnet on it and it's happy. Other machines use a micro switch... find it and wedge or tape it closed. "

Not the case any longer. All legit builders use a tamper resistant door switch now, and have been for a few years.