585,705 active members*
4,026 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: GOLF BALL

GOLF BALL

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to mill a golf ball on a haas. I don't have 5 axis capability or this would be easy. I have 4 axis capability though. Any ideas? I know I can probably spin both halves with a lathe. I am trying to figure out how to put the dimples on the ball. Any help is appreciated.

Until you have machined more than one-half of the sphere, you do not have anything to reliably hold onto to machine the opposite side. I would use CAD/CAM and create a solid model. I would start with a piece of square bar stock vertically in a vise. I would machine approximately 1/3 of the diameter depth with a ball mill. Then I would lay it down on one of the flats and machine the center 1/3 of the diameter, turning 90 degrees each time. Then, holding on the ball itself at just over 1/2 diameter, I would mill off the remaining stock material and finish the last 1/3 of the ball.

Made one on a tee back around 96 on a mori sl150 sub spindle lathe. Was a demo part for a tool show.

If the dimples are shallow, then you don't even need to use your 4th axis. Same setup as TX, but with one or two of these tools:

Harvey Tool - Undercutting End Mills

You machine the diameter PAST half the depth, plus put the dimples in with the same tool. Make soft jaws with slightly more than half depth, put the part in and finish it up. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Until you have machined more than one-half of the sphere, you do not have anything to reliably hold onto to machine the opposite side. I would use CAD/CAM and create a solid model. I would start with a piece of square bar stock vertically in a vise. I would machine approximately 1/3 of the diameter depth with a ball mill. Then I would lay it down on one of the flats and machine the center 1/3 of the diameter, turning 90 degrees each time. Then, holding on the ball itself at just over 1/2 diameter, I would mill off the remaining stock material and finish the last 1/3 of the ball.
    Sounds good. I have solidworks and onecnc so I think this is going to work. Thanks for the idea

Be sure to mark the sides so you can keep your orientation correct with your CAD/CAM when moving it around.

Haas Factory Support

There is an online database of 3D models, here is the golf ball:

Search Results: golf

Good Luck!
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks