585,668 active members*
4,130 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Rigid tapping tooling, and drill tooling

Rigid tapping tooling, and drill tooling

Hello again...

I am making some investments into some tooling components for my 4020HT machine (CNC88HS) 1995. Among investing into some Chick vises and base plate, I need to really look at using my rigid tapping function... I have a few things to work out on my posts (using HSMWorks) - but thats for another day.

For now, I am looking for guidance in what actual taps and holder to purchase for rigid tapping steel (A36, 1018, etc) and aluminum...

Looking for good quality taps and drills....carbide tipped drills, etc - something for general purpose work... I am not a job shop, I mainly do custom parts for robotic end of arm tooling - but nothing sucks worse than a melted drill bit or broken tap....

Any suggestions on manufacturer and type of drill bits and taps?

Thanks!!! :drowning:

Don't be cheap. There is not one brand that outshines them all, in my opinion. Get drills and taps in the middle price range and you should be ok.

What is most important about drilling and tapping is doing it with the best techniques. Learn when to use spiral point, spiral flute, and forming taps.

You dont need to buy more than you need or you will see that capital sitting there in a useless holder or tap.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

We have had good luck holding taps in nothing more than ER collets. As far as tap styles- name brand spiral pointed taps for through holes and spiral fluted taps for blind holes in stringy material. Jobber drills work fine for 99% of what we do. I suppose if you had a production job in a difficult material it might justify purchasing high performance drills or taps.
    Hope this all helps.
    Techman

Yep - what they said.

Melted drills are a sign of very wrong feeds and speeds.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca