585,597 active members*
3,515 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > The best formula to find the ideal voltage for the drivers and power supply

The best formula to find the ideal voltage for the drivers and power supply

Hello, I'm searching for the best formula to calculate, from the data of the stepper motors, the ideal voltage that should be used in it. I have already seen some people using a formula based on the inductance, and others that calculate it multiplying the voltage of the stepper motor 5, 10, 15 or even 20 times. Does anyone could tell me which formula should I use?

Thanks.

Daniel

Very simple. Run your axis from a 24VDC power supply. Keep increasing your speed until the axis becomes unreliable. Back-off to the last reliable speed and mark it down as your "what you got" speed.

Divide your "what you wanted" speed by the "what you got" speed and multiply it by 24VDC. The result will be the optimal power supply voltage.

Example: Say you got 50 IPM at 24V and you wanted 100 IPM. 100 divided by 50 is 2. 2 times 24V is 48V it is your optimum supply voltage.

Mariss

Calculate the nominal voltage requirement of the stepper motor. Use the formula V = IR to determine the amount of current the motor will "draw" if a certain voltage is applied across its coils, where V = Voltage to be calculated, I = current across the windings and R = Resistance in the windings (manufacturer-specific).

may be can help you.:wave:
    :argue::argue:

Quote Originally Posted by Mariss Freimanis View Post
    Very simple. Run your axis from a 24VDC power supply. Keep increasing your speed until the axis becomes unreliable. Back-off to the last reliable speed and mark it down as your "what you got" speed.

Divide your "what you wanted" speed by the "what you got" speed and multiply it by 24VDC. The result will be the optimal power supply voltage.

Example: Say you got 50 IPM at 24V and you wanted 100 IPM. 100 divided by 50 is 2. 2 times 24V is 48V it is your optimum supply voltage.

Mariss
    Thanks, I really liked your method. I also prefer a pragmatic solution, specially considering the possible distinction between the motors, hardly took in account by a invariable formula. I only didn't ask for it because I haven't seen another so easily testable like this.

Daniel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Cassar View Post
    Calculate the nominal voltage requirement of the stepper motor. Use the formula V = IR to determine the amount of current the motor will "draw" if a certain voltage is applied across its coils, where V = Voltage to be calculated, I = current across the windings and R = Resistance in the windings (manufacturer-specific).

may be can help you.:wave:
    Hey, actually I know the nominal voltage of the motors. I should have told that. The sheets provided with it indicate 5,1v, 3a/phase, resistance of 1,7/phase and inductance of 7/phase. What I'm trying to find out is how to determine the ideal voltage that should be provided to them, in order to decide which drivers and power supply I should use to reach the the best speed/torque relation.