584,842 active members*
4,259 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Okuma LS oil

Okuma LS oil

Hello, I have a older Okuma Ls manual machine that i need a little help with. I believe they actually call it a LS-540mm by 1500mm. Im also not sure but i think its a 1964 model with a serial number of LS 4109-10352 but if anybody knows how to deciper the serial number that would be cool. I was looking to change the oil in it from when i got it but when i called around all i got was that it took 2.5 gallons of #90 turbine oil. When i called some oil distributors they didn't know what to say either and looked on the net all i coud find is that #90 turbine oil came in different viscosities. I looked at the old oil but its kind of dark to tell what it actually is or how thick it should be. All i have is the electrical manual for the machine so if somebody has a actual manual with some specs or done this before i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Andrew.

The oil is the same as CB32, so DTE oil light.

fun fact, the serial number has the date code followed by the serial number, the 41 is year, expressed in the year of the emporer, so 1925 + 41 is the year 1966, and month is the 09, so September. the serial number would be 10352.

If you got one in good shape, those things sure are nice. I remember running one that was about 20 years old at the time. Smooth as Japanese silk. I would take one of those over any other manual lathe in the day.

Re: Okuma LS oil

Quote Originally Posted by old timer okuma View Post

fun fact, the serial number has the date code followed by the serial number, the 41 is year, expressed in the year of the emporer, so 1925 + 41 is the year 1966, and month is the 09, so September. the serial number would be 10352.
    I just bought Serial # 4109-10318 yesterday for $500. Guy didn't know what he had. I powered it up and it runs sweet. Head sounds good, nearly zero backlash. It's a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by old timer okuma View Post

My machine doesn’t have the date code, just the serial number, I don’t see how you arrive at that for the date?

My machine doesn’t have the date code, just the serial number,
    depends where you're looking at. Identificator is on the cast body, on the electrical cabinet and on the papers. OSP in case of CNC ... Just look for more numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    depends where you're looking at. Identificator is on the cast body, on the electrical cabinet and on the papers. OSP in case of CNC ... Just look for more numbers.
    I will have to keep searching, the only number I found was stamped on the tail stock end near the ways. I don't have any papers as this is an older LS.
    Inside the electrical cabinet?

Picture here?