584,837 active members*
5,570 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123

Solved

Yeah. Work coordinate X should be 0., not -227.205. Then Tool Offsets should have negative values.

good, so set your G54 X to zero i.e. 0 [INPUT]
    also on the geometry page set one of the tools Z geometry to 0 (i.e. 0 [INPUT]. usually it'll be a turning tool like the finishing tool).
    use that tool to touch the face and set the G54 Z workshift. i.e. Z0 [MEASURE]
    now set all your other tools by touching the same face and do a Z0 [MEASURE] for each tool **except** the tool with the Z0 geometry. Set X as usual by touching on the diameter of a part held in the chuck (let's say it is 123.456) then on the geometry page X123.456 [MEASURE] for EACH tool.
    that is all. now your tools are set. to set the workshift for the next job simply touch the same tool that has the Z geometry offset at 0 onto the face, go to workshift G54 Z and type Z0 [MEASURE]

your setting 'post' is actually called a tool setting arm/probe usually made by Renishaw and has 4 switches on it.
    I think your initial 'trouble' with tool setting using the probe is that the probe is not calibrated so using it gives incorrect values. use the manual tool setting method I described above. once you have that working the procedure to calibrate the probe can be followed and you can cross-reference your correctly set tools to make sure the values are the same.

and here's a couple of pics showing how it should look.
    note tool 3 Z geometry is 0. I set my workshift Z G54 using tool 3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00794.jpg   DSC00796.jpg  

fordav11

I think your initial 'trouble' with tool setting using the probe is that the probe is not calibrated so using it gives incorrect values. use the manual tool setting method I described above. once you have that working the procedure to calibrate the probe can be followed and you can cross-reference your correctly set tools to make sure the values are the same.
    That makes a lot of sense, the guy will bw here in 4 days and I will come back to you on what he says is the problem.
    Thanks for the help its much appricated.
    Tony

Hi Guys,
    Set all the tools okay but I find the turning tool and the drills are 1.7mm out. In other words if I set "Tool 1" (its a outside turning tool) to be correct then all the tools that rely on centre line are out. If I set based on a drill then the actual cut part using the turning tool will be 1.7mm wider. Have a Udrill and it cuts perfect its in "Tool 7" then when I cut the outside of the part aiming for a final Dia of 30mm I get 31.7mm using Tool 1.

It is possiable that its the tool setting arm, how do I check it?
    Tony

if you use the manual tool setting method is it wrong? I suspect not.

if you are probing then yes your setting arm is not calibrated.
    if X is out by 1.7mm then it means your parameter for X+ is out by 1.7mm.
    That's parameter 5015.
    check and list your parameters 5015, 5016, 5017, 5018

you can probably fix it easily by subtracting or adding 1.7mm to either 5015 or 5016

the numbers have no decimals so 789123 = 789.123mm

if in doubt take a photo of the parameter page showing 5015-5018

also each tool has it's own individual X setting so if one tool is set wrong the others should still be ok. as I said the center line does not move. the tool reference position moves and each tool X reference (i.e. X geometry offset) is separate from the others.

another quick fix is to put -1.7mm on your G54 X
    technically G54 X should be 0 but you can offset all of the tools using the workshift if you want to.

you can check the setting arm by moving the tool to the setting probe and note the X position on the readout. Then set the X geometry for that same tool manually and note the X geometry offset. The 2 numbers should match. If not your probe is out by the difference between the 2 numbers. Add or subtract that number from whatever number is in parameter 5015 and that'll fix your problem.

Hi fordav11,
    Set the tool at a 40mm wide job "X position" read 71.874,
    Used tool setting arm X showed in tool table as 33.029 and the "X Position" as 171.055
    Checked Parmeters,
    5015 190552
    5016 110173
    5017 472798
    5018 432516

Tony

Did the adjustments to the parameter settings and now its all great. It would be good if some one can tell me the correct way to set the do the set up on the tool setting arm.
    Tony

How do I adjust the Y axis, it seems the tool is to high by aproxx .6mm. Is there a parmeter for it.
    Tony

you can put an offset on Y for that tool or if all tools are the same put something on the G54 Y

I am not sure if its called "3" instead of Y, it seems the angle of the boring bar tip is not contacting the surface at the correct angle and it shuddering. I will have a look at G54, thanks. In the manual for the lathe it talks about the "Keep Relay" to K13.0=1. In the next sentence it said "Press Spindle override VALID/INVALID button several times to unclamp the turret." By the way I forgot to mention when I got the lathe tool 2 shows up as tool 1 on the controler.

Tony

are you sure you have Y? If this is the same machine that you show screens for above then you don't have a Y axis.
    3 is the turret servo
    If the tools don't line up to center then you need to get your maintenance people onto it, pull it apart and re-align the turret properly.

Ford,
    Yes its the turret servo and its "3", I have been playing around with "Grid Shift" in the parmeters. I am waiting for a dail guage to arrive but it seems that I can raise or lower the turret centre line but using this parmeter. I played with it on the weekend and it seem to move it I just need a dial guage to double check it. Its pretty funny I have this machine as a hobby/work machine so its just a interest, today I went to a machine shop that has a CNC machine they use every day. Turns out they don't have a clue how to adjust there machine so will be helping them realign these as well.
    Really appricate the help you gave me pointing me to the parmeters to adjust the tool setter it was a great leap forward for me.
    Tony

grid shift doesn't move the turret. it can move the servo but thats the wrong way to fix your problem. there's a mechanical lock holding both turret and turret body together. search google for 'curvic coupling' and you will see what it looks like. its basically 2 castle nuts that mesh together and the 'castle' ring that sits inside the turret is located with tapered dowel pins and bolts. do a search on these forums for 'curvic coupling' for some info on re-aligning it.

Quote Originally Posted by g-codeguy View Post
    You are on the wrong page. X-axis stays at zero for both of those positions. Set your X-axis for each tool on the GEOM. page.

You've been given good advice. The guy coming in should be able to show you the correct way to touch off X-axis in a few seconds.

Most people that I know of run the main spindle in G54. Make sure G54 is active before probing your tools. G54 should be active upon startup. However, if you finished on a subspindle (with a different work offset) or finished making multiple parts on one barpull/barstop using different workshifts for each part, then it probably won't be on G54. Both X and Z-axis are set for each tool on the geometry page. I'm a bit surprised that the correct page doesn't come up when the arm is lowered. It does for all of our lathes. On some the correct tool number is highlighted. On some it just goes to TOOL 1 on the GEOM page when the arm is lowered, and the operator is responsible for highlighting the correct tool.
    Hi.

I got some problems With this to.

I have a Viper 3000 YMS With Fanuc 18i-TB controll With Manuell Guide i.

When I need to set the work cordinates in the sub spindle I belive I need another tool that is set to Z0 in the tool, data to set the work zero in the sub spindle.

Or is this assumtion wrong?

I use G54 for the main spindle and G55 for the subspindle, is this the way to do it, or should I use G54 for both work zero Points and use the work shift function?

Im New to the Fanuc Controller, and man is this different from the Mazak Controllers Im used to.....

I have a tool setter, and would like to use it, but I have problems understanding the setting procedure for the Reference tool(s)

And since nobody around here is running the Fanuc Controller I have no one to ask for help exept you guys.

And for the record, Fanuc manuales suck bigtime

SQT, never use the same work coordinates for both spindles. You can use whatever work coordinate you want to, but I would be consistent so as to limit confusion with the operators...or yourself. Many use a 2nd tool with Z0 Geom., but if you have a good touch probe, then use it. The tool does not need to be set at Z0 in order to set work coordinates for either spindle. I do not call them work coordinates, but workshifts....probably not the correct word to use, but I learned on single spindle lathes and workshift is what we called it, not work coordinate. Anyway...when setting the workshift, instead of typing in Z0, you type in the actual value of that tool's Z-Geom.

EDIT: I agree. The Fanuc manual can be a pain to understand at times.

on some machines you can actually set the workshift with any tool as long as it is already set. it works on my machine (Mori) but on others it would be necessary to either have one setting tool with a Z0 geometry or set the Z0 workshift to the number in the Z geometry for that tool. With the latter it can get confusing if the place where you touch the tool is not Z0 then you have to add or subtract a distance from the Z geometry of that tool in order to achieve the correct workshift calculation. It's a lot easier to just have one tool with a zero Z geometry :-)

Quote Originally Posted by fordav11 View Post
    on some machines you can actually set the workshift with any tool as long as it is already set. it works on my machine (Mori) but on others it would be necessary to either have one setting tool with a Z0 geometry or set the Z0 workshift to the number in the Z geometry for that tool. With the latter it can get confusing if the place where you touch the tool is not Z0 then you have to add or subtract a distance from the Z geometry of that tool in order to achieve the correct workshift calculation. It's a lot easier to just have one tool with a zero Z geometry :-)
    SQT, let's use a Hardinge with an OT control as an example. Say you have probed the tools and want to touch off with the 80 degree roughing tool. Its Z-Geometry is .2516. Touch off the tool. On the workshift page, type in MZ.2516, press INPUT hard key. Your workshift is now set correctly for all tools. Alternately you could type in MZ0, press INPUT hard key. Then type in W.2516 press INPUT hard key. Your workshift is now set for all tools.

Oops, SQT, your control does not work this way. You should have 2 columns for X & Z on the workshift page. Highlight Z in the right column. Type in .2516, press INPUT soft key. Workshift should be set for all tools. Alternately type in 0, press INPUT soft key (while right column Z is highlighted.) Cursor to the left column Z. Type in .2516, press +INPUT soft key. Workshift is now set for all tools.

Setting the workshift in G54-G59 is done similarly. On our Daewoo you would highlight Z in G54. Type in Z.2516, press Zero hard key, press Zero soft key. Workshift is now set for all tools. Alternately type in Z0, press Zero hard key, press Zero soft key, type in .2516, press +INPUT soft key. Workshift is now set for all tools. Not all lathes have the Zero hard key. Some controls have a Zero hard key and use "Measure" instead of "Zero". I hope I remember correctly. Can double check Monday. Or someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Our 16-TT controls do not have a Zero hard key. Neither does our 21-T control lathe. Workshifts are set using the method described in my 2nd paragraph.

you quoted me before your explanation but A. I already know all of that and B. I'm not SQT. he has not been seen here for a week.....
    and yes you can use input+ to correct a workshift. touch the face of the part and set Z0 then use input+ to add or subtract an amount. I do that on our Fanuc 0's that only have the simpler workshift screen without G54-G59

I've been dealing with this on the 10TF lately... how?

Page 2 of 3 123