584,830 active members*
5,881 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > 139 x motor z fault and occasional ground fault

139 x motor z fault and occasional ground fault

1994 haas vf2 with new cable and x drive card and rebuilt motor in x. It has been giving me an occasional ground fault on tool change. It was worse until i unplugged and replugged the wires for toolchanger from the board. I was able to run at 50% rapid now I'm down to 25% or I get a 139 x motor z fault. Is there parameters that I should change? What are the parameters supposed to be set at. If some one has a list of parameters for the machine that I could get I would really appreciate it. Is there a good possibility that my main board is close to being shot? Need help desperately :drowning:

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer View Post
    1994 haas vf2 with new cable and x drive card and rebuilt motor in x. It has been giving me an occasional ground fault on tool change. It was worse until i unplugged and replugged the wires for toolchanger from the board. I was able to run at 50% rapid now I'm down to 25% or I get a 139 x motor z fault. Is there parameters that I should change? What are the parameters supposed to be set at. If some one has a list of parameters for the machine that I could get I would really appreciate it. Is there a good possibility that my main board is close to being shot? Need help desperately :drowning:
    The 139 alarm combined with the ability to run at a decreasing rapid rate indicates a faulty encoder.

As to the ground fault, you can try blowing out the dust left behind by the brushes being worn down.

new encoder and turned up the screw on ground fault detector 1/4 turn. She's running better than ever and no smoke from the back box yet. Thanks for the help. one more question. How does an encoder lose track on rapids and not at lower speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer View Post
    new encoder and turned up the screw on ground fault detector 1/4 turn. She's running better than ever and no smoke from the back box yet. Thanks for the help. one more question. How does an encoder lose track on rapids and not at lower speeds?
    The encoder uses rotating glass scales, read by a laser similar to a CD/DVD drive. So it gets dirty or the laser fails or gets weak are two ways. Most encoders now are 8000 lines or signals per single revolution, very delicate. So, slowing them down will help them out but not fix the problem.

There are other things too like wires, but those are two main ones.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    The encoder uses rotating glass scales, read by a laser similar to a CD/DVD drive. So it gets dirty or the laser fails or gets weak are two ways. Most encoders now are 8000 lines or signals per single revolution, very delicate. So, slowing them down will help them out but not fix the problem.

There are other things too like wires, but those are two main ones.

Mike
    What he said!