585,974 active members*
4,339 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Aligning Kress high speed spindle attachment

Aligning Kress high speed spindle attachment

I am roughing out an aluminum part with normal spindle, and want to use the high speed kress spindle to finish the surface of a mold.

The lowest speed on the kress spindle is too fast for a wiggler. What are some good methods to get the alignment of the kress spindle and tool proper to my roughed out work peace.

Make a hole in the work piece with the Kress and find the center of the hole with the main spindle and note the offsets on the controller's DRO

Odo

Thanks. I was thinking of milling a corner with the Kress and doing the same thing measuring the corner with the wiggler. I like the hole idea as well.

I need to remove the Kress for roughing, and remount for the finish work. Do you think it will keep the same/close enough offset after remounting it against the backstop plate?

That depends on the repeatability you need. I suggest you mill the corner or make the hole, measure offsets, remove and replace the Kress, make a new hole and check offset to determine if repeatability is acceptable. Do as many times as needed until you learn the repeatable range. BTW if making the hole with the Kress is the last roughing operation I don't see why you need to remove it after measuring offsets.

Odo