585,717 active members*
4,034 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Drag chain - are some openable and some not?

Drag chain - are some openable and some not?

Hi,

I just received a Microcarve MV3 and am trying to get all the finish details worked out. I noticed that some drag chain look like you can snap them open and put the cable directly in and some don't seem to open (so you would have to route the cable through assuming the connector on the end fits through it). Is this right? Or do they all open?

Thanks,

Alan

I believe all of the good quality stuff opens, either split down the middle or like a hinge where one side snaps open.

No, even some "good quality" ones don't open. All the ones on the $100K+ machines we've ever had don't open. The Igus I'm using on my new router don't open.

Different types for different applications.

Also, just a guess, but I'd think the ones that open would be more expensive? Looking at mcMaster-Carr, the ones that open are about $3/ft more in the smallest sizes.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Only ones ive seen open are the ones on our big plasma table at work. We run two HPR 260s and hypertherm warns against "fishing" or "Pulling" torch leads through. These leads come with connectors on both ends. Top plate pops right off the e chain. If your not zip tied in good every few feet the cables can "pop" the top plates off in use. I can look for a manufacturer name or something on the plastic molding if you'd like.

As stated, different designs for different jobs. Igus has the best selection i am aware of.

Matt

I used chain from Ugracnc. They have a variety of sizes. The smaller ones don't open, the larger ones do. The description says whether it does or doesn't, but it's not particularly obvious. I think the product is very good, but I had to exchange the non-opening one for a larger, opening one.