585,599 active members*
3,665 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mazak gremlins on startup

Stupid title admitted:

I have a mid 90's QT18n T-Plus that has been acting up lately. I know the machine is old but I can't seem to part with it. It still makes me money.

Anyhow, upon start up the screen comes on for a split second then goes blank. That's when all the good stuff starts. Parts catcher will come up, coolant will sometimes come on. The turret starts spinning (not indexing but a full on spinning).... The only thing on the screen will be the error. It will be a different error every time. Anything from over heat, zero origin and turret malfunction. It was doing this pretty often so I called a tech. So of course when the tech got here I couldn't get the machine to repeat the problem. $400 and 2 hours later, I get the "I have no idea"

The next day the way lube system broke. I installed a new one and the start up issue went away for about 3 months without a single problem. Now its back again.

Once the machine is fully started it will run all day. Besides the frustration of on and offing the machine to get it started up, it's also dangerous. I have spent hours searching for a fix via internet and hours on the phone. I have no issue what-so-ever of paying that $130 an hour tech fee but every tech I speak with wont touch it. If its not windows based they don't want mess with it.

Thanks for reading if you actually got this far.

Shane

Sounds like instead of a tech you should have called a preist for an exorcist.

I have been waiting for the pea soup to come spewing out but, nothing yet.

How about leaveing the machine on and just hit the e-stop at the end of the day?

Quote Originally Posted by 1234567 View Post
    How about leaveing the machine on and just hit the e-stop at the end of the day?
    Only problem there is, the fans and hydraulics will not be shut down. I came in this morning and it fired right up. I think it's waiting to fail me at the worst time possible.

I'd like to add:

On the control panel there are 2 sets of red digital numbers referencing RPM, feed...etc. When the machines disconnect is turned on they light up all zeros before I push the 'on' button. This is normal I know but, I noticed when the machine acts up they wont light up at all before pushing the 'on' button.

Power supply maybe???