585,996 active members*
4,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > News Announcements > Vertical lathe tool holder for Tormach Tool System.

Vertical lathe tool holder for Tormach Tool System.

I am pleased to announce the release of a new product, a gang tool holder designed to work with the Tormach Tooling System.

This product is available for purchase at Pure Geometry

This tool holder allows you to use your vertical milling machine to perform lathe operations. It was designed specifically for the Tormach 1100 and 770 milling machines, but should work on any machine in that class. Until you can save up for that lathe you've been dreaming about, this is an inexpensive solution that lets you do limited turning operations on almost any milling machine.

To set up this tool holder, mount it on parallels in your vise, and set the origin to the indicated corner. Configure your tool offsets, and you're ready to run. And you can remove the holder from the vise at any time. The next time you need to use the holder, you already have the offsets programmed. All you need to do is set the origin to the new position and you're ready to run.

Specifications:
    * Designed to work with 1/2" turning tools and the Tormach Tooling System.
    * Holds 4 turning tools and 3 TTS holders.
    * TTS holes are reamed to 0.750" for best fit and alignment.
    * Black oxide finish. (Pictures are of an uncoated prototype.)
    * Fits the inside jaws of most 6" vises.
    * Fits the outside jaws of Tormach's 5" vise.
    * Compatible with Tormach Automatic Tool Changer.
    * Dimensions: 5.95" x 6.3" x 0.96"

I'm very excited about this product. It's the first product that I have designed for machinists. I've been able to use it on my Tormach 1100 to run production jobs, including making new TTS tool holders. I'm hoping that you find it as useful as I do.

Sincerely,
    Frederic Scott
    Owner, Pure Geometry LLC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT-6.jpg  

Would love to see some video of it in action, as well as some info on how to program - e.g. whether it's easy or hard, would be great to walk folks through basic part making on it.
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

Tikka,

Thanks for your interest.

I shot some video of the tool holder in operation. As soon as I edit it, I'll have it up on youtube. I'll update this thread when that's done.

Programming is the same as for a normal lathe. The mill's Z axis is the same as the lathe Z, and the same is true for X. The easiest method for a Tormach mill is to use a Duality lathe post, and modify the configuration of Mach.

To handle the Y axis movements, I've written a tool change script that will retract Z to a safe distance, and then move Y to the correct position to put the new tool on center and compensate for any Y axis backlash. I'm going to add that script to the product page as soon as it's finalized.

Frederic

i am new here!

I've uploaded a couple of videos showing one of the tool holders in action. I had to make 500+ of each of these parts, and the tool holder performed flawlessly.

I apologize for the video quality. I'm not a very good camera man.

The tool holder shown is my prototype. If you buy one of my holders, it will not be bare steel. The ones that I am selling have a MIL Spec black oxide coating.

Enjoy the videos!

Frederic

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYaOEjX9mYc]Basic Vertical Lathe Machining - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAavvZHBcdo]Intermediate Vertical Lathe Machining - YouTube[/ame]

Re: Vertical lathe tool holder for Tormach Tool System.

Not for sale any more? website doesnt work.

Anyone..