584,849 active members*
4,396 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Finding Material to Teach for Beginers

Hi All,

I am not sure if this is the correct post to put this in but I am going to start here. I have been in the CNC field for quite sometime but every place I have worked has always been "on the job training" for CNC skills. What I was wondering is if anyone knew of a good website or book for basic CNC operations for someone who has little to no background in the CNC world.

Maybe even just the basics covering the cartesian plane, very simple G-Code, defining CAD / CAM, etc.... Bascially just something covering the very basic material. I would rather not recreate the wheel if its already been done before but willing to if needed. Thanks in advance for anyone coming up with something

NTMA.org

Begin with shop math and blueprint reading books.

DON'T teach CNC until manual skills are developed!

Start with a scale, a scribe, a square, a hack saw, and a file.

Thanks txcncman. I should have been more specific, we have spent time covering basic math, only through fractions didn't get into anything advanced. Also we are covering handtools right now and got another few days on it. There is a section covering prints and layout as well.

We wern't jumping straight to CNC Skills, I was just looking for some more information.

Thanks for the website, alot of good information on it

After hand tools is the ability to visualize the steps needed to make a part. Process Planning. Is the part round? Probably need a lathe. Is the part more rectangular? Probably mill. Which side of the part needs to be machined first so that there is something to hold to do other sides?

Then the ability to calculate actual tool paths is needed. First, center line of tool. Then tool tangent points. (This is where the trig comes into play.)

Speeds and feeds. Speeds and feeds. Speeds and feeds. Speeds and feeds. Speeds and feeds. Speeds and feeds. Speeds and feeds. Speeds and feeds.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    NTMA.org

Begin with shop math and blueprint reading books.

DON'T teach CNC until manual skills are developed!

Start with a scale, a scribe, a square, a hack saw, and a file.

You hit the nail right on the head. Teaching the basic with those handy tools can't go wrong.
    I remember 20 plus years ago when I was learning the teacher had us to squared out a block with a file... man I though he was kidding. (chair)

MIT has a nice series of videos available for free.

MIT TechTV – Videos

They're very good.

~john

Just wanted to say thanks to all. I am not sure how far I will be able to get with all these folks (hours cut way to short to teach all this) But I will give it my best

Two of the best books I have come across are CNC Programming Handbook by Peter Smid.
    and Computer Numerical Control Programming by Michael Sava and Joseph Pusztai.
    There is also a free simulator at CNCsimulator.com
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike234 View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks to all. I am not sure how far I will be able to get with all these folks (hours cut way to short to teach all this) But I will give it my best
    This is a huge problem that no one in industry wants to address (or pay for), even though they whine and complain about not being able to find and hire qualified people. According to standards set forth years ago by the U.S. Department of Labor, to go from entry level to journeyman machinist, it takes over 700 classroom hours of training IN ADDITION TO over 2000 hours of synchronized and coordinated on-the-job training. That is 1 1/2 years of 8 hours days, 5 days per week. And this is just to get to the beginning level of journeyman, supposedly still working under the direction and supervision of a master machinist.

Some local colleges here in the Dallas area have fraudulently convinced businesses and the Texas Workforce Commission, that they can train someone to be a machinist in as little as 3 months. But, I can't do a thing about it. And nothing will get done about it until businesses start pooling their resources and paying for decent training and supporting any training programs that are doing it "right". Their excuse, "I can't pay to train someone for them to go work for the competition." What they do not want to admit is that if they did, it would raise the bar for all machinists.

daveallen Guest

Re: Finding Material to Teach for Beginers

For a free trial of The Machinist Black Book email DaVicki-llc@outlook,com and put trial in the subject.
    Speed and Feed calculator for over 3000 materials and handy references for the machinist and programmer.