585,768 active members*
4,109 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Wolfgang TB-650 Spindle?

Hey guys. Newbie here to CNC.

Im building the FLA100 Machine, already processed my own 80/20 and steel rails, with of course, the guidance of experienced machinists. Its been great fun.

One of the things I'm pondering/can use some guidance on is the spindle. Big topic i know. Im a poor college student doing what i can with what i've got. Id love to be able to cut woods, guitar bodys/necks, the usual. Bigger not so detailed pieces....some friends want speaker boxes..pistol grips, rifle stocks ... Acrylic would be fun for cases. Aluminum would be fantastic. Possible gears, control plates...

I've seen many things on the chinese VFD driven spindles. Watercooling doesn't scare me, i still have my system from my old Dual Athlon K7 server i watercooled using a 71' Boneville heater core lol. Getting a 220V line run to the garage isnt an issue...

But then i stumbled upon the wolfgang engineering spindle, Spindles the TB-650. I like the fact its 12v, up to 25,000 RPM....made here in america...It says wood and metals are just fine...but is that for what i'd like to do? Any experiences/input? i mainly see this thing posted in PCB milling due to its accuracy. Would it be a decent candidate for what i'd like to do? Also is it only locked to 1/8"? What about a PWM controller/current limiter to adjust the speed?

Or am i just better off building a mount for some of the big ole Craftsman routers/Dremels i have laying around?

...or, Wolfgang spindle for the fine stuff, clunky router for the bigger stuff?

Thanks in advance guys. I figured I'd ask the experienced ones here before i drop more cash into this project.

I did not have much luck with my wolfgang spindle. Do a search on this forum and you will see a number of post from people that have bought his spindles.
    Been quite some time but if I remember correctly mine lasted less than 10 hours before the bearings went bad.

I did not "push" the spindle when I was milling (soft wood, corian) as the belt will slip if you try so I know that was not what caused my problem. I have nothing good to say about the wolfgang spindle so I will leave it at that.

My advise, save your money and buy something else. Never tried a dremel on a cnc machine but they tend to get hot with continuous use.

I used a Wolfgang tb-350 spindle on my small router for a while. I used it to take shallow cuts in hard maple with pretty good results. However, I gave up on it after I ran into trouble with the bits slipping. If I understand what you want to do, I think you'll find even the tb-650 spindle too small and frustrating to use. If I were in your shoes, I'd look at a small router like the bosch colt. If you want to spend a little more money, then I'd look at a Kress spindle (that's what I'm currently using).

Here's a link to a youtube video showing my router with the Wolfgang spindle: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X22FQqhQpE"]SmallRouter.MP4 - YouTube[/ame]

Im a poor college student doing what i can with what i've got.
    Buy a variable speed 2-1/4HP router. The Hitachi is cheap, and is used by a lot of people.

The Wolfgang is not nearly powerful enough, and I believe it's limited to 1/8 shank tools.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Don't bother with it. Aside from the reports of bit slippage, if you're making guitar bodies and necks you need large bits. There's no way you're going to cut a 1-3/4" strat body with a Wolfgang spindle. Heck it's a bit of a task for even a 2HP router. You defintely want as much power as possible to leavev a good finish on wood. A 1HP trim router is the absolute minimum, and even then it will be a slow go. I'd defintely agree with Gerry and get a 2-1/4HP router. My Bosch1617 (2-1/4HP) finally went, and I slapped a Sears Craftsman router on my machine, and I believe it cuts just as well. I cut bodies and necks, and the power comes in handy. Wish I had more, actually..

I have some videos of neck and body cutting here, as wekk as some other stuff you mentioned:
    AtienzaLouie - YouTube

Hey Guys,

Thats too bad about the bit slipping.

louie, very nice. Thats where i'd like to be this summer.

I probably will just opt for the Bosch, but, i now discovered i have 2 craftsman routers in the garage...and a near mint but ancient belt sander i never knew we had.

Now, i have to ask about the chinese spindles. Only reason being is, i have a friend in a high place in the international shipping business, and according to him, if i can find one direct at the supplier, he'd get it to me...at cost, no shipping. Thatd be awesome. I know the prices are jacke up quite a bit on ebay. So i'd have to go outside of that..

But thanks guys. Good to know i have another option and could possibly use something i have around the garage already.