585,908 active members*
3,795 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Time to Buy

Time to Buy

I need to make some purchases this week. For controls i will be using the Picobotics PicoCNC and the Sure Step STP-MTR-23079 . Can anyone verify that this set up would work? One thing I am concerned with is connecting the motors to the control box. The motors look like they have square connectors while the box looks to accept round ones. I was also thinking of getting the 434oz-in version of the same motor for the z-axis, since it has to hold up a drill. Is this necessary, or should 276oz-in support a drill fine. Finally, can anyone make comparisons between this control box versus the Xylotex box? They seem relatively similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorillakilla
    I need to make some purchases this week. For controls i will be using the Picobotics PicoCNC and the Sure Step STP-MTR-23079 . Can anyone verify that this set up would work? One thing I am concerned with is connecting the motors to the control box. The motors look like they have square connectors while the box looks to accept round ones. I was also thinking of getting the 434oz-in version of the same motor for the z-axis, since it has to hold up a drill. Is this necessary, or should 276oz-in support a drill fine. Finally, can anyone make comparisons between this control box versus the Xylotex box? They seem relatively similar.
    I am not familiar with the PicoCNC but it looks very similar in specs to the Xylotex. You should email picobotics about the cabling.

The stepper motors only come with a 12" lead with the little square connector. You need to buy the 20' extension along with the motor. The extension clips into the connector at one end and has 4 color coded wires at the other. The instructions that come with the motors show exactly how to connect to a Xylotex controller.

A 276 oz-in motor will be fine for a drill. I use these all the time and have been very happy. In fact the 434 oz-in motor might be too much for the 2.5 amp controller. I hooked up a large 600 oz-in motor to mine once and it would only turn about 30 rpm.

The PicoCNC is nice because its in a self contained box, but you also need a power suppply (about $60) that has to go somewhere. It would have been better if they would have put it in the box also for a self contained unit.

Overall, the Xylotex unit would be a better value.
    http://www.xylotex.com/Econo4Ax.htm

Just from looking at the torque curves, I think the 23055 motor might actually perform better than the bigger ones when used with the the PicoCnc or xylotex drive.

I agree that xylotex seems to have essentially the same guts at a lower price.

SureStep stepper motors

Quote Originally Posted by H500 View Post
    Just from looking at the torque curves, I think the 23055 motor might actually perform better than the bigger ones when used with the the PicoCnc or xylotex drive.

I agree that xylotex seems to have essentially the same guts at a lower price.

Performance characteristics are excellent for this motor. This was the stepper I settled on for my own CNC, but my final plan is to upgrade them to servos once I have a free few days on the machine. I also plan to use it on a linear laser scanner. Although LinEngineering has a comparable motor for $10.00 less, the torque curve drops below 55 in-oz at approximately 525 RPM, whereas the SureStep drops off somewhere between 750-825 RPM. Most axis, 10 TPI can jog at 100 IPM on my own router, but depending on chipload, I usually run between 25 and 40 IPM, which roughly translates to around 300RPM