585,987 active members*
4,552 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HiCON CPU ethernet board for Mach3

Has anyone used this board made by Vital Systems of Phoenix AZ? It is an ethernet board for Mach3. There is also a companion breakout board. I have been using a Chinese DSP pendant from RichNC to control my modified Sherline 5400 with steppers and a Sherline rotary table. I built a optoisolated breakout board and drivers using Gecko 251s. The RichNC pendent has been reliable. The problem is that the DSP pendant will only actually run 2 axis simultaineously even though it is a 3 axis controller, and doesn't allow for any canned cycles (except rect slot and array), and has limited set of control codes, and limited output. It also is fussy about which USB flash drives it will read and the PC support software works but is very limited. Time to move on. My original concept was to leverage CNC control maximally to save time and have the most flexibility in what I could create. At the same time I was also learning machining basics. I have learned a lot but now want to be able to run a full set of G code instructions, do parametric programming, and run four axis simultaineously if needed. The Vital Systems board is listed as a plug in on the Artsoft Mach3 site. It can run up to 6 axis, has lots of I&O, is Mach3 compatible, and can run Basic if set up for it. It will need network setup. It is not cheap but if does what it claims and is reliable then $975 for the CPU and breakout board is not bad at all. The other problem is that I can't find much info on it from existing users. I'm about to send the check so if anyone has any experience with this board or has heard anything I would appreciate a quick response. The attached photo shows my existing setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-05-13 17.06.36.jpg  

Vital Systems CPU and breakout board

I recieved CPU and breakout board from Vital Systems. So far everything is as advertised. I am new to Mach3 but was able to install the plug in, there is minimal setup and the extensive I&O is set up by clicking on "LEDs" in the plugin configuation window and the corresponding real LED on the board lights up so you know which ones are active. Using the Mach3 software MPG jog control, I could detect pulses at the step and direction terminals. I am building a cabinet for the board and power supply. Next I will do a trial hook up with my Gecko 251 drivers and see how it actually works but I am waiting for the hardware MPG I ordered to come. Pictures coming soon.

Hicon board build

Ok, it seems that I am forging new territory here, but this controller is relatively new and on the high end of board prices. That said it's capabilities, 6 axis simultaineous movements, 32 I&O ports, 2Mhx pulse rates, etc are also at the high end of board capabilities. I am posting about the build now because I had my first successful test of the entire setup Mach3, Controller and driver/steppers. This was a jury rigged test of the X axis only. I am now building the enclosures, cables and connectors properly and it's taking a while. The controller inclosure has a 5v power supply, the Hicon boards, and connectors for the X,Y,and Z axis, with a hole for the eventual 4th axis. The photos show progress so far. Mach3 is running on a tablet computer and connects to the board via ethernet cable. I am waiting for a MPC that attaches to the DB25 connecter at the bottom. The drivers are Gecko 251s.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-06-17 13.48.16.jpg   2012-06-17 13.48.49.jpg   2012-06-17 13.49.55.jpg   2012-06-17 13.56.54.jpg  

2012-06-17 13.50.32.jpg  

Hi Mike4703

I too have started on a project with the same unit, the dspmc-ip-m. I have only gotten as far as mounting everything, hooking ups the scales ( yes, I have read some threads saying I will be in tuning hell for a while) mounting an external box with the usual oft-used buttons so I don't wear a hole in my touch screen. I have yet to actually power things up, connect things and being the config process, however, as other work projects have taken priority. I'm hoping to get back to this in the next few weeks. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on your thread. Also, take a look for a few other threads I have read from folks using this same unit....search for TotallyRC (I believe) and you should find a few using this unit.

J