584,862 active members*
5,511 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

I need start up advice

Hi All

New to this group so forgive me if I am asking stuff already posted.

I am wanting to build a 3D router for carving pockets and arch top on an electric guitar.

There are many place I can find to get the stepping motors and controllers for this and I can build all of the machine given I have a full machining workshop already. I have a number of questions that will help this project.

1) What size motors have others used? I have been looking at about 300oz/inch motors by Nema.

2) Is Mach 3 the best software for this sort of thing? Everywhere I look other machines are using G Code and I am unsure if Mach 3 uses this or not. What would you guys recommend.

3) How hard is it to convert a file from Autocad into a set iof cutting instructions for Mach 3?

Thanks

Hi there,
    I am still very much in the beginning stages of my build, so I dont have much/any experience in motor sizes etc.
    However (1) 300oz/inch is a fairly powerful motor (also they are not made by NEMA. NEMA is a sizing standard ie. NEMA23 is 2.3inches across the square face)
    (2) Mach 3 is certainly a popular control software (and fairly cheap) and yes it does read G code. LinuxCNC or EMC2 is another option (free, but runs in linux) which I plan to use.
    (3) to convert your autoCAD files to G code you will need some CAM software - lots of info on this forum...

Good luck!

Ummmmm Nema 23 seems to come in a variety of torques up to about 320 oz inch see 23Y - High Torque Stepper Motor

These may be way too big but id like to actually use a 1/2 inch router for the motor so a larger torque might be the way to go.

Not much interested in running Linux on anything so it looks like Mach 3 might be the way to go.

Thanks for your help Pirate (wedge)

hello

im pretty new to this whole CNC thing as well, buy i would have got no where if a few people on this website didn't help me.
    im not sure if i do things the long way but this is what works for me.

i draw what ever i want up in Autocad then save it as a DXF and import that into Alphacam from there you can set tool paths etc and generate Gcode (NC) which i then open in Mach3.

I like Mach3 as its easy to learn, as i said at the start im very new to this but its heaps of fun!

hope that helps

Darain

Thanks Darain ...... tat sounds like a plan .......... Is Alpahacam a freebie somewhere?

bump to the first page!

Hi,
    I use artcam which can convert dxf into a cutting file.
    I have also used both emc on linux and mach3. Different to set up, but both do the same thing. mach3 will probably be the one to use as every seems to be using it so can get lots of help with it.

With the motor size, it depends on your machine, if your running lead screws or ballscrews, etc. What works for one person may not for another. 300oz/in is a good start though. The steppers on my machine are 1700oz/in :>

If you have the right software it's very easy to convert dxf into a cutting file.

Hope this helps.
    Dan