585,992 active members*
5,238 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DIY (SMALL) Laser CNC

Im in a small older apertment, thats older wiring. And looking into building a small laser cnc for acrylic, computer case building, no more than 24"x24" arcylic pieces.

My concerns, the bedroom, where Im wanting to keep the CNC, has a 20amp breaker, plus, Im not sure how old the wiring is, dont want it to get too hot. Also, Id only have room for something like 5-6 foot area for the CNC.

Help this Noob out? Maybe someone could post a simple list of parts, and where to find them. To help me get started, to see is this is possible, and also a total cost $$$$, just a ruff guess of cost, see if its what Im willing to spend?

THX

I can't help with total cost, but a 20A line should be plenty. My 80W laser uses less than 1200W of power, so you probably won't see anything much more than 10A draw.

You are going to need a laser power supply and a matched tube, ebay is good for those. You'll also need stepper motors, drives for those steppers, and a controller to hook it all to the computer. You'll also need to build a frame with some sort of linear rails for movement. Mirrors, focal tubes, lenses, mirror mounts...

There's a lot I left out of there, as I could type all day on what you need. To be honest, if you have to ask what you need this project is waay to big for you! I don't mean to be condescending or anything, but CO2 lasers can be dangerous. Once they are in a machine properly they are fine, but you could be in for a deadly shock if you don't get everything just right while you are building it.

As cheap as Chinese laser machines are you should consider buying one already finished. I do not think it's possible to build one cheaper than what they sell for. Also, should you run into trouble (which you will) the guys on the forum here will be able to help you a lot easier since they all have the same machine. If you go custom you are going to be largely on your own.

Good luck!

Might want to take a look at buildlog.net - CNC Laser Buildlogs. Quite a few people building lasers. I am in the process of gathering parts for one now. Going to use makerslide for the x and y.

Agreed, unless you know exactly what you are doing, stick to either making a pre-designed machine like the buildlog one, or buy one. I have been working on my built from scratch laser for almost a year now and have only just amassed all the parts to complete it, some $2000+ later.

Dan

And no one has yet mentioned that cutting acrylic smells like $h1t. I would strongly suggest you do not want this in your apartment. It MUST be ventilated properly (outside) and even then there is still some residual smell. Your bathroom fan is not gonna cut it. If you insist, I would recommend visiting someone local who cuts acrylic so you can get an idea of the hazards involved before placing it in your permanent living space.

Matt

(nuts) You are all against knightsilver's enthusiasm.

From the consideration of $, it must be uneconomical,

But for fun, there must be much~