585,712 active members*
4,038 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: New to CNC

New to CNC

I am new to CNC. I need some info on how to start. To my knowledge there are two ways of getting a program into a CNC machine. First, use some sort of offline software ( surfcam, gibbs, mastercam, etc). Second, type G code and M code directly into the CNC machines control.
    In the case of offline program, I recently heard that it is preferable to draw on solidworks or similar and then import into the CAM software such as surfcam, gibbs etc.
    Does that sound right ?
    If so why is that ?

Chuck

It is a lot more complicated than that. Almost all CAM programs these days have CAD function. No need to have CAD and CAM programs separate unless you just want it that way. You can do what is called "manual" programming where you do all the calculations for the tool paths. Then you can type that directly in to the machine control using the appropriate G-code. Or, you can type on a PC and use communications software to upload the program to the machine control. Most CAM programs have communications built in. And this is just the tip of the iceberg. There is a lot more you will need to learn about. Tooling, work holding, speeds, feeds, depths of cut. The list goes on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by rcs9250 View Post
    I am new to CNC. I need some info on how to start. To my knowledge there are two ways of getting a program into a CNC machine. First, use some sort of offline software ( surfcam, gibbs, mastercam, etc). Second, type G code and M code directly into the CNC machines control.
    In the case of offline program, I recently heard that it is preferable to draw on solidworks or similar and then import into the CAM software such as surfcam, gibbs etc.
    Does that sound right ?
    If so why is that ?

Chuck
    What type of work are you palnning on doing? Artsy type stuff like signage and plaques, or machine type mechanical parts?
    I do the signage and plaques. I use a cad program called Aspire to do my desgn work and generate the G code. I then import the G code to my machine Via Mach3 contol software and cut the parts.

Mike

You've got it basically right. For everything but the simplest of parts, it's usually best to use the CAD software to create a model, and CAM software to turn that model into tool paths the CNC machine can execute. This is in the form of G-code, which is basically a text file, that the CNC machine loads and then runs line by line.

I disagree with the earlier comment about every CAM program having CAD functionality. Some do, others don't, and the best of them usually specialize in one or the other. While most CAM programs have some limited capacity to draw lines or whatever, that's usually for simple things like defining machining regions, and isn't capable of designing mechanical assemblies or other complex designing tasks.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    You've got it basically right. For everything but the simplest of parts, it's usually best to use the CAD software to create a model, and CAM software to turn that model into tool paths the CNC machine can execute. This is in the form of G-code, which is basically a text file, that the CNC machine loads and then runs line by line.

I disagree with the earlier comment about every CAM program having CAD functionality. Some do, others don't, and the best of them usually specialize in one or the other. While most CAM programs have some limited capacity to draw lines or whatever, that's usually for simple things like defining machining regions, and isn't capable of designing mechanical assemblies or other complex designing tasks.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software
    Funny.

Gibbs - CAD built in
    MasterCam - CAD built in
    EdgeCam - CAD built in
    PowerStation - CAD built in

I could go on.