585,560 active members*
3,348 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Over head router / shaper / table .. anything else ?

Over head router / shaper / table .. anything else ?

It just occurred to me, that now we have built a cnc machine, we also have an over head router/shaper by default !

I wanted to put some profile on some shelves I am making, and have been putting it off, as my router is mounted in the cnc machine.
    Lying in bed this morning, after I just woke up, I realized, that I could put the profile bit with guide bearing in the router whilst it's still mounted in the machine, and still run the boards through manually, like I would on a router table.
    I don't know why I didn't think of that before !

I can't wait to give it a try now.

Any one else doing this ? or have any other uses for the CNC that might not be obvious ?
    My 1st Build (ongoing) http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc_router_table_machines/134670-one_big_one_smaller_my.html

it could be used for cross cutting long boards, like a miter saw or radial arm saw would ...
    angles, square, even end to end glue joints ..

hmm... what else ?
    My 1st Build (ongoing) http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc_router_table_machines/134670-one_big_one_smaller_my.html

Kickback could be a serious problem. You would need guide boards each side of the material you are cutting to act as guide rails. Maybe one guide board and one opposing feather board for the material to slide between. The guide board could have a U shaped notch for the router bit to go down into similar, but inverse of a typical router table. I don't know if there will be any lifting forces from the cutter, so that may also need to be considered.
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    Kickback could be a serious problem. You would need guide boards each side of the material you are cutting to act as guide rails. Maybe one guide board and one opposing feather board for the material to slide between. The guide board could have a U shaped notch for the router bit to go down into similar, but inverse of a typical router table. I don't know if there will be any lifting forces from the cutter, so that may also need to be considered.
    I was thinking that it would be the same to use as a normal router table, or overhead router.
    Same dangers and considerations. No worse ?
    either a fence or guide pin or even add a miter slot etc, etc,

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyCNC View Post
    I was thinking that it would be the same to use as a normal router table, or overhead router.
    Same dangers and considerations. No worse ?
    either a fence or guide pin or even add a miter slot etc, etc,
    You're probably right, I've never used an overhead router.
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

It just occurred to me, that now we have built a cnc machine, we also have an over head router/shaper by default !

I wanted to put some profile on some shelves I am making, and have been putting it off, as my router is mounted in the cnc machine.
    Lying in bed this morning, after I just woke up, I realized, that I could put the profile bit with guide bearing in the router whilst it's still mounted in the machine, and still run the boards through manually, like I would on a router table.

Any one else doing this ? or have any other uses for the CNC that might not be obvious ?
    I am currently in the process of expanding the X axis of my machine, and have thought of this possibility. Instead of expanding to a monstrous size, why not design the table in such a way, that roller stands can be situated at each end of the table, along with the use of a rigid fence parallel along the table's length. Set up the g code to carve a section (up to your machine's X axis limit) at a time, unclamp the work piece, and slide it the length of your table, clamp it back down, and continue...... This approach could potentially expand your capabilities to equal the floor space of your shop! (By simply adding additional roller racks for the infeed/outfeed for stock support).

[QUOTE=adprinter;1116715]...... This approach could potentially expand your capabilities to equal the floor space of your shop! (By simply adding additional roller racks for the infeed/outfeed for stock support).[/QUOTE

good idea. for fixed machines that method is used a lot, and if you put your machine by a door or window, you can go even longer !

[quote=TrickyCNC;1116724]
    Quote Originally Posted by adprinter View Post
    ...... This approach could potentially expand your capabilities to equal the floor space of your shop! (By simply adding additional roller racks for the infeed/outfeed for stock support).[/QUOTE

good idea. for fixed machines that method is used a lot, and if you put your machine by a door or window, you can go even longer !
    My machine is a moving-gantry design. However, it is all dependent on the table design (as to whether or not one could use the roller stands suggestion). There are also other possibilities to consider: Gantry movement which extends beyond the length of the table can also be used for cutting things like dovetail joints, or finger joints into the ends of stock pieces. Of course, this presents a new problem- (I.E. Table Height, to accommodate longer pieces of stock at a time). Yeah, I know..... I've got it bad! But when one stops dreaming, development stops too!

mine is designed and made with 5" cutting capability off the edge. As well as working ends and edges of wood, I hope to put an indexer and lathe attachment / 4th axis on there .

all in good time....

mine is designed and made with 5" cutting capability off the edge. As well as working ends and edges of wood, I hope to put an indexer and lathe attachment / 4th axis on there .

all in good time....

The 4th axis on my machine, was also a part of my need to expand the X axis. (I was limited to only 18" of stock length on the 4th axis, which is now expanded to allow up to 48" pieces up to 8" diameter-). The machine has been a combination mill/lathe for almost 2 years now. The expanded X just allows for sign-sized pieces to be cut in a single g code file. But the 48" capability will also come in handy for totem poles, and stair spires!

I use my fixed-gantry CNC router as an overhead manual router all the time. Works quite well, and the dust-collection already built in is a plus.

Haven't used it for cross-cutting, but I was thinking it wouldn't be too hard to jig it up as a jointer. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sirkossorg View Post
    but I was thinking it wouldn't be too hard to jig it up as a jointer. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.
    Jointer is a good one

we already can surface , so why not joint too !

Depending on the size, if it fits the bed, you can joint 2 edges in one pass, as long as tear out isn't an issue...

You could do this, but then you would have to have your control box on so that your steppers have holding torque. I don't know how safe that would be if your machine for whatever crazy reason started to move on it's own. Then again you could just buy non-piloted edge bits, and you can both trim teh edge and route the profile at the same time. You probably can even do this manually with the MDI.

As for "manual" work, check this jig out. If it wasn't so expensive it would be a great CNC retrofit!

Multi-Axis Tooling Router System

My machine seems to stay put when it's switch off. I can turn the screws by hand easy enough, but I cant move the router just by pushing it.

That link you posted. It a bit of a WOW !! at 1st glance, but as I watched a couple of the videos you could see patterns for the tenons etc, and also see the $$$ adding up ! before I looked at the prices, which like you say are a bit expensive to say the least, I could tell that this was one of those bottomless pits of money, where they would charge you for every little bit and accessory .
    Impressive all the same

I used it as an overhead router table yesterday, and it's much the same as using a standard router table. very easy, and felt safe.

Next ... Bench top morticer

1st experiments with CNC morticing

fix a stop/fence to the bed and clamp the table leg up against it

Then press play

I'm using baby cuts at the moment, because this router is old and the bearings are worn. But it still only took 10 mins to cut the 8 mortises at 3" x 1/2" x 3/4" deep. No measuring, and just a scribble for the marking out. When one is cut, you just replace with the next leg and press play again . Much quicker and easier than marking out and using a bench morticer !

This was using a 6mm spiral bit, so it leaves a 3mm radius in whatever size mortice you cut.

I'm really pleased with how it went, and I'm trying to think of any reason to keep my bench morticer ?

I just need to make the end clamp/vice, and then I can cut the tenons too

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post

As for "manual" work, check this jig out. If it wasn't so expensive it would be a great CNC retrofit!

Multi-Axis Tooling Router System
    Oh that was just sad to see. "The Power of CNC without the Computer." Who are they kidding?

Hah! Tricky,you do your thinking in bed....thats called lateral thinking.
    I do mine on the royal throne(Toilet)....thats called contemplating.

Jointer is a good one

we already can surface , so why not joint too !

Depending on the size, if it fits the bed, you can joint 2 edges in one pass, as long as tear out isn't an issue...
    When jointing, or cutting rebates, always climb cut and you should'nt get any tearout at all.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    When jointing, or cutting rebates, always climb cut and you should'nt get any tearout at all.
    That makes good sense

Thanks Ger