585,981 active members*
4,059 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > Need gibbscam post file.

Need gibbscam post file.

its a 2010 LEADWELL V-30i VERTICAL/FANUC O-IMC/ 4 AXIS/24 HEAD
    i have some postfiles i can trade if u like.

If that has more than one spindle you'll need an mtm post. I coughed up close to 10 for mine. Good luck.

whats mtm and is that 10k?
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

MTM= multi task machine

Yes i ment ten thousand. Start checking option boxes and that price goes way up. Rotary mill, bar feeder, mill-turn, parts catcher, sub spindle, second tool group...

I haven't updated my Gibbs in a long time and definitely haven't ordered any posts since original purchase. So that's a big chunk just for a post processor!
    thanks
    Michael T.

It is a big chunk, but I always feel like the software pays for itself much faster than anything else. There are whole jobs I've done on the lathe that simply could not be programmed by hand. Like 3d surfacing. Add the ability to check for crashes in the virtual world before they happen on the machine and it's worth even more.

The problem is, If you haven't kept up on your maintenance, this will be a lot more painful than 10 g's. By the time you add up back maint., post cost, custom .vmm, custom .mdd, not to mention the MTM module upgrade itself, your spending close to 20.

That being said, there are amazing things that can be done with an MTM post. It goes WAAAAAAAYYYY beyond just converting the tool path on the screen to g-code.

Example:
    Problem: Parts catcher wont catch parts because the coolant blast deflects parts.

Solution: The ability to use utility markers to specify a point on the tool path to shut the coolant off.

Problem: Need to turn a long part with a small diameter.

Solution: Part shift using a servo bar feeder to push the part a specified distance. (I actually can "pull" it as well with the sub spindle) This one is really cool because Gibbs gave me the ability to fully control the bar feeder inside of gibbs. That means I can do a part shift at one feed distance, then at the end of the program after cut off, reload the spindle with another feed distance.

The possibilities are almost endless. Think of MTM as Gibbs "VIP".

sounds cool, but I don't have those kinds of machines or that kind of work so I all good....and I don't mind spending the money if it gets me added capability that I actually need.

So if I have to spend the 20k that means I've got a bunch of work that justifies it. So I'll be a smiling when i spend it.
    thanks
    Michael T.