585,665 active members*
3,791 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

weird circle cuts....cant figure it out!

I pretty much have my machine working perfectly now -).....

However, i get a weird cut where the cut starts. This seems to happen even if i tell sheetcam to do a lead-in from the center of the circle...as soon as it hits the edge it does this. I circled it in white (ignore the rest of the circle, as i stoped the machine so it didnt finish).

It does this on *EVERY* circle. I just dont get it!

Take a look at the drop to make sure the cam is actually applying the lead in. If the lead is there, then you may have a accel issue, may need to turn up the accel to make sure there is no hesitation around the transition. Do you have a lead out on the post?

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

I agree with WSS, looks like your machines ramp up isn't right. What kind of lead-in are you using? Does it do that even on larger interior circles?

Cool Tool comp.

When are you engaging the cutter compensation?

Yep I agree with WSS.... Looks to be accelerating a little slow. It's probably a couple of things when it's all said and done.

The drop will tell the story on the lead-in... Take a shot of that for us..

The lead-in on my machine has no off set. The tool comp starts when the offset is reached.

Looks like your cutting in the wrong direction. Isn't it clockwise on an outside cut and CC on the inside. I never can remember..... I got to look it up every time...

The beer killed to many brain cells i guess....

aj

With a standard swirl baffle its clock out and counter clock in. If you cant figure out the circle ramp up speed there is a little way to cheat on the circle cuts. Thats to just pierce in the center. From there instantly start cutting a small circle and swirl it out to the size you are needing. Think of it kinda like this @ with the circle being the pierce. You stop the cut half the thickness of the kerf befor you overlap. That will stop that bump you are getting, You can overburn it a bit if you have a hard time getting it set up. Its hard on the touch nozzle and electrode but it does work. I notice the stright lead ins with a stop setup like the @ works best on my machine. I always just over burn then stop at half the kerf. I tend to use way to big of a setup all the time so I dont have to change the consumables 100 times a day. I will cut 1/4 a36 at 400 amps at 350ipm just to keep from getting coolent on my hands sometimes lol.

AJ and pruitt: The larger the hole, the less it seems to mess up. Im going to cut some test holes tomorrow to test.

Pruitt, how do i accomplish a swirl in sheetcam?

--John

I don't know how on that, We use pronest. Sorry

johndjmix, if you are using a CandCnc setup, you will not need to do a swirl out. The control/motor combo has very good accel. The swirl lead can also be called a arc lead in, I would stick with the 90 in if you can and work out the issue before changing too much. Let me know what thickness of material you have and what your Z offset is, what amp parts you use and I can post a tap file for you to try.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

Got it fixed. I wasnt doing a lead-out....that was the problem. I also updated the accel which was set at 20, to 40....hope that doesnt hurt anything.

--John

Quote Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
    Got it fixed. I wasn't doing a lead-out....that was the problem. I also updated the accel which was set at 20, to 40....hope that doesn't hurt anything.

--John
    Not doing a lead out wasn't the problem unless the torch hesitated in one spot for a while...
    Not doing a lead in and piercing on the cut line would cause such a booppa...

Upping the acceleration was the fix.

The smaller the hole, the more irregularities show. At least for me that's the way it is...

aj

Here are some front and back pics of some .69" holes in half inch done last week on a CandCnc PlazPak servo system using We-Cim for the cam. We just retro fitted this machine last December from another servo system and this one is far and away more accurate.

WSS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo110.jpg   Photo112.jpg  
    www.metaltechus.com

Ajclay, well...I tried just increasing the accell and that didn't do it. I added the lead out and wham. Perfect

The burr was being made at the end of the cut so it makes sence. What exactly does the accell control? Speed of changes? What is a good value for it?

--John