584,805 active members*
5,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Hard Drive failure on OSP-P200L

Hard Drive failure on OSP-P200L

Last week we had a hard drive fail on one of our OSP-P200L and our maintenance department decided to call in a service tech. It took at least three days to get someone, good thing the production line was down for a model year changeover.

So I thought I would remind everyone that you can remove the hard drive and do a image of it, then purchase a replacement drive and copy your image. This way if you ever have a failure you can quickly be up and running again.

Too bad our maintenance department didn't take my advice. We have 9 OSP-P200L now and we should have at least one HD, just in case.

My personal preference is Acronis TrueImage for imaging software.

Tanks gunrights, I'll take your advice.

I mean "Thanks" !!!

As long as we're on the subject, I'd like to add that even if you're not capable of/ comfortable with the hard drive imaging, you should at the very least be making backups once every couple months. It's a quick procedure ( found in the P200 maintenance manual ) and it will save a lot of time and heartache when that hard drive eventually fails (drive failure on the P200 is a when not an if). I'm a service tech at one of the Okuma distributors and I can say that re-loading the system is no big deal with a hard drive image or even just the Maintenance Tool system and user backups. But, if you have no backups at all, it can be a real disaster. Especially if there have been major changes to the parameters or, if you don't have programs backed-up off of the machine.

The other thing that is a concern to me is the proper shutdown of the operating system (Windows). There is a battery backup that supposed to shut down the operating system due to a power outage. But too often our maintenance department just kills the power without properly shutting down Windows. Now as someone who has repaired computers for 20 years I know that this can really cause problems with the operating system.

With our company getting more and more machines with Windows running in the background I have plans to put together a procedure for each of the machines as to do a proper shutdown. It will be laminated and placed near the main power switch so that the maintenance department understands the procedure.

I think that the most recent problem we had is due to maintenance killing the power without a proper shutdown to do a PM on the machine. When they brought the machine back up it had no operating system. Hard drive failure could've been just powering down the machine improperly or a slight voltage spike to the hard drive at start up. That's not uncommon even in desktop computers that have poor power supplies.

May actually be better in the future to switch the hard drives over to SSD (solid-state drives). There is a considerable wear and tear on physical drives just due to vibration even with shock absorption. SSD's would have none of these problems because there's no moving parts.

100% agree with You. New hdd is not easy to get today because of Thailand industry down. Unfortunatelly, there are some models (500GB 5400 rpm especially) failing quite often. It's easy with Acronis True Image and very convenient.

100% agree with You

Quote Originally Posted by gunrights View Post

May actually be better in the future to switch the hard drives over to SSD (solid-state drives).
    But I think Windows XP is not the best OS to play with an SSD !

Why okuma did not build the control with Win 7 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tancuda View Post
    But I think Windows XP is not the best OS to play with an SSD !

Why okuma did not build the control with Win 7 ?
    Good point this is something that would probably have to be tested out thoroughly.

I'm currently running a P200LA that has an I7 processor with 1GB
    of ram, I think it can handle that Windows 7 !! At worst, I can add Ram.

And with an SSD drive, that would speed up everything.

the development time required to design and implement a new control is usually several years. Windows 7 wouldn't have existed then. The XP version is a special 'embedded' version that is used for machines and equipment and does not require an IT person to manage/upgrade/repair. The licensing fees are also cheaper because XP is older.

Quote Originally Posted by fordav11 View Post
    the development time required to design and implement a new control is usually several years. Windows 7 wouldn't have existed then. The XP version is a special 'embedded' version that is used for machines and equipment and does not require an IT person to manage/upgrade/repair. The licensing fees are also cheaper because XP is older.
    No it's not special 'embedded' version. Windows 7 can be made to work.

Quote Originally Posted by gunrights View Post
    No it's not special 'embedded' version. Windows 7 can be made to work.
    Hmmmmmmm......interresting !!!!!!

SSD Drive

I Know of a few Okuma users with OSP200L & OSP200LA without a glitch on the hard drives.
    I believe they can certainly improve the drives they currently use as they do become somewhat slow when clogged with information.
    One of my mates swapped his drive over to the following:

Kingspec 2.5'' 64GB IDE PATA SLC SSD Solid State Drive.

Always going on about how fast the control is now.

Certainly for any OEM designing/ R&D on the machine tool is a lengthy process. As with any new design there are always some draw backs.

I have been told Okuma will be bringing out the new OSP300 soon, had a look at one on a simulator. Pretty impressive with some added functions & refinement.

No it's not special 'embedded' version
    can You post a picture of Windows XP license sticker, which must be on the door of control cabinet inside? You can blure CD-key figures. I'm very curious, what WinXP build could be used by Okuma

Here's a tag from one of our machines. Okuma does use an embeded version of XP. This is why it dosen't need to be updated and why the hard copy of windows comes on an Okuma branded CD. Although it may well be possible to make Win7 work, the machines are made for XP and word around the shop is that they don't intend to move up anytime soon (P300 will still ship with XP)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-06-15_15-00-24_332.jpg