Its been a while since I have been here so I figured I would start posting some pics of the linear rail machine I have been building. Maybe with some motivation (and input) from the community I can finally finish this build I have been working on for what feels like years.

The frame for the machine is 4 x 4 feet. The actual table will be 4 feet wide by 3 feet deep.

I used 3" aluminum I beams (which I just found out are warped) and some 8020 2x4 main beam which I filled with four pieces of 0.5" rebar and 10 lbs of concrete poured in there. It feels like it weighs 50 lbs now and seems unearthly rigid. There will be somewhere on order of 1000 lbs on the table, so I think it will hold up pretty well. Each leg will support 250 lbs, and the rear 8020 which is anchored to the foundation will support the other 500 lbs.

Here is the basic frame:
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mill Table 050.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	160299

Name:	Mill Table 051.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	160300
I made some custom Gusset plates for the 2040 because I couldn't find any anywhere. Let me know and i will post the DXF if anyone wants it.

Unfortunately I found out that the I beams are warped:

Name:	Mill Table 058.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	160301

I put them down on a granite surface plate and put a level on top of them to show the company I purchased them from how messed up the lot was. They intend to file a claim with the carrier saying it was warped in transit. I just don't see the old UPS guy bending I-beams all Hulkamania style since he is to lazy to even take them to my front door. New ones should be on the way, so the company did OK in my book.

Here is the layer of wood which will be the "underlayment" for a concrete pour:

Name:	Mill Table 053.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	160303
1.5" of MDF (which will be waterproofed). A 2x8 frame will be boxed around to hold the 10 or so bags of concrete and probably a few threaded rods to keep the generally square shape. 800 lbs should do a wonderful job of dampening for the relatively light machine work that I do.

Feel free to SUBSCRIBE to the thread and watch me learn all my lessons the hard way.