584,846 active members*
3,994 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > d and h offsets with measured tools

d and h offsets with measured tools

does anyone know how to measure tools, and use the same number for both the h and d offset? have a mori with a fanuc 525 control. nothing really different same as other fanuc controls. i dont mean touching every tool used in a program off the top of the part , i am referring to actually measuring the tool. the tool will have a positive value from the spindle.there r only 100 tools that can be stored in the tool page. i have more than that. need all the space i can get rather than clutter the whole page with d and h offsets. really need a page for both. any help?

As part of the set up and programming process, you do have the ability to use "gage length" and tool diameter as part of the process. This is where the programmer knows the prescribed length of each tool (tool tip to spindle face) and compensates for it in the programming. "Gage length" can either be used to offset commanded tool positions or it can be used in Macro B programming to assign that value to the tool offset register for that job.

I work with large tooling and a fixed magazine, to save me the hassle of moving/setting tools I program each tool as a # macro variable, then I can use whatever is in the magazine, wherever it has been put, just by changing one number in my sub pgm.

I do recall there may be a parameter to change the tool offset memory type, hopefully someone with this knowledge will chip in.

DP

Nevermind then.

ever work on better machines with better controls? prbly not. dood if u have that much hassle with elements in yur shop fix em. and yes i saw all the stuff u talk about. and u need to change something. i never liked fanuc. honestly its a pretty stupid control. hopefully mori now teamed up with dmg will get rid of the fanuc. i always said mori is a great machine with a lousy control. now they can expand. while u touch tools off the part lmbo!!!!!!!

hey dp thanx that sounds bout what i was lookin for. i like the option as well to look in the magazine c the tool and just go. makes a person more valuable when they r that efficient. so i can give all 100 of my tools a macro value and call that macro rather than an h offset then my offset page i can use for the radius comp. is that right?

Magpie,

wlcm2thzon. i thnk ur kybrd is defctv... y dnt u gt a nu1

nah works great.several ways to communicate where people can still understand. thats power. u understood right? there ya go. plus i really cnt type and i txt a lot so i tke whtevr shrtcuts neccsrry. in school we r told and taught what to think. as adults, and one of the things that make great machinist and diemakers is having the ability of how to think. science and math assist in this thinkin. good journey my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie73 View Post
    nah works great.several ways to communicate where people can still understand. thats power. u understood right? there ya go. plus i really cnt type and i txt a lot so i tke whtevr shrtcuts neccsrry. in school we r told and taught what to think. as adults, and one of the things that make great machinist and diemakers is having the ability of how to think. science and math assist in this thinkin. good journey my friend.
    o u2

so i can give all 100 of my tools a macro value and call that macro rather than an h offset then my offset page i can use for the radius comp. is that right?
    Er, no, not exactly - i don't have your issue regarding separated h and d offsets. You need to hunt through previous threads as I am sure this has been discussed before. Saying that, there is no reason why you couldn't go down the road you suggest, though it would take some work to set up correctly, maybe make it part of m6 macro to foolproof it..

My issue was annoying conflicts running multiple jobs on multiple pallets. By programming the way I do, i can consolidate my tooling requirements, programs never clash, never need rewriting, tools/offsets never need rearranging. t#101 in pallet1 pgm and, say t#116 in pallet2 pgm can actually call up the same tool if need be. Another bonus is being able to put all centre cutting tools together in the magazine for auto-setting purposes. Doesn't matter where they appear in the pgm.

I also need this flexibility simply because we use modular style tooling, some parts of which are in high demand. There is no way I could even keep hold of all the tools in the machine for a week, let alone have 100 tools setup ready

DP

first thanx for the info. other than using the b macro i knew the rest. second pull yur head out the clouds. of course tools change from job to job. but wile u r figring out where they go and what number they are from 1 job to the next and touching every 1 of them off the part mine r loaded and or ready to load, know where the part is from 1 job to the next using a z value in g54 - g59, and r ready to start cuttn. job shop work has no process we know this so why not put as much process in as u can. start with a standard tool list. tool 2 for that job is tool 2 for this job. if yur worried about were they are in the drum for a quick tool change never mind that you can work with that. i can do either set up. offset every tool or guageline it. and ive been all over job shops. so when u talk more valuable i want the guy cuttin rather than milkin tools off a surface.(job shop way) how smart is that? or efficient. dood i built molds as big as yur car im no dummy and feel i would only lose brain cells tryin to fit in with know it all machinist like yurself. but thanx for the offer.
    Memory type A, B, & C. (A=basic,B=better,C=best). Look them up. Sounds like you're working with A. I'd offer more help, but I get slaughtered plenty by my ex-wife & I don't need it here. You asked a pretty simple & basic question. I'm amazed that you'd ask that question & expect anyone trying to offer help to be able to "mind read" your vast knowledge & skills. Loose the attitude & get a memeory upgrade if you can. If memory serves me right, B gets you G54.1P1-P48 work offsets & I don't remember how many (maybe 200) tool offsets with H & D registers. C gets you G54.1P1-P300 work offsets & like 4000 tool offsets (on the last machine we brought in).

OT for you Magpie

Magpie,

Not using real words is just plain lazy, and gives a bad impression. It's not even cute. Texting does not give you an excuse to look uneducated in a public forum. It doesn't matter that "you get your point across". It's true that machinists don't have to be typists or English majors. But come on... make an effort!

hey dak1 thanx. diont have an attitude the txcncman dood started with me and i finished. only he deleted his post cuz he new he was wrong to talk to me in a similar way that i responded and i was only asking a question. dont think i can get my boss to go for the upgrade. is that available from fanuc? and again dood i dont have an attitude. i just asked a question and he jumped all over me. thanx again

Have you ever downloaded (punched out) your tool offsets? It might give you what you need to be able to macro-ize or sub-program-ize your tool offsets.

Something like:

G10L##D##H##

where the G10 will overwrite a previous value with the value you want for the outboard tool. You just have to have a written table of your tools and their length/diameters.

hey dak1 thanx. diont have an attitude the txcncman dood started with me and i finished. only he deleted his post cuz he new he was wrong to talk to me in a similar way that i responded and i was only asking a question. dont think i can get my boss to go for the upgrade. is that available from fanuc? and again dood i dont have an attitude. i just asked a question and he jumped all over me. thanx again
    Ok, that's fine. But you have to realize how it looked from my point of view as well as others. txcncman can at times be taken as critical or overbearing, but WE ALL can at times even if we don't mean to (myself definitely included). The fact seems evident to me that this man does know his stuff & is always willing to help as long as the recipient is willing to help themselves. I for one respect him for that. I also agree with beege on the shortcuts. Less than professional in my opinion. That's just me dude. I have 3 kids & know about the texting thing. I still type all the words when I send them messages & I don't like trying to have to figure out what their messages mean when they use shortcuts that I don't know. And many times my interpretation is wrong. (My time is valuable also & it very seldom has a positive effect when I misunderstand their messages).

As far as the upgrade, yes, check with Fanuc. Dependant on your control, you may be able to upgrade & it may be as simple as a parameter change (as previously stated). But I'm sure you'll have to pay for it either way & it will be a hidden/protected parameter. We order all of our machines with C type memory. Intilial cost is minor for the advantages it provides. You need to be aware of variable numbers. For example, work offset system variables for memory B start at like #7001 for P1 while memory C will be #14001 for P1. We set the formulas up in excel & just enter offset # and axis # to get the corresponding variable. I don't remember if it's as simple as just adding 7000. The point is, they're different.

Hope this helps.
    Dave