585,885 active members*
6,427 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Plasma Hand Torch Conversion

I have a hypertherm 1000 with a hand torch and would like to modify the hand torch to simulate a machine torch so I can use the built in cnc controls on the unit to switch the torch on and off. Does anyone know how this is done or where I might find resources on how this can be done. Keep in mind I am a laymen when it comes to electronics, but as long as I have directions on how to do it I can handle it. :drowning:

Thanks for any help you might offer me.

PlasmaCam owners may be able to help you with this as their manual instructs on how to do this (to my knowledge).

Jason

I am in the process of making a CNC plasma cutter with the hypertherm 380 that had a hand torch. Taking apart the hand torch and mounting it to a plate of aluminum is very straightforward. I still have to make a cover and finish up the THC circuit. I don't know what is involved with the cnc controls on the 1000 since the 380 unit that I have doesn't have any tip voltage outputs or anything like that. Attached is a picture of the mounting bracket that I made. When I get it working in a week or so I'll do a quick writeup of what I did and the THC circuit that I'm using. Good luck.

-Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 380 torch.JPG  

That is one hell of a good idea!
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

I own a hypertherm 900 and did not have a wiring diagram so I just unscrewed the torch at the machine and just ohm the wires while pushing the switch to find the right two wires. I was never able to obtain a wiring diagram from either hypertherm or the local dealer. With yours being a 1000 series wiring is probably different but if you want I could take a photograph of where I spliced into mine. But I probably won’t be able to post it until Wednesday as I’m going to be out of town until then. Just let me know.

Mcarvey,
    Were you able to finish your hand torch to machine torch conversion? Any more details would be appreciated.
    Thanks, WT

Relay

I have done this with both a hypertherm 350 and 600. In both cases all I had to do is locate the two PURPLE wires coming into the unit from the handheld torch. If memory serves me correctly this is either a 24 or 28 volt ac circuit. I made a small board that used an opticially isolated relay to complete the circuit of the two purple wires using the 5volt signal from the parallel port. weldtutor if you need a picture of this little relay setup let me know. I think that I still have your email address from the other day. Good luck.

Trevorhinze
    Yes I'd appreciate seeing that circuit.
    What drivers & voltage do you use to your motors?
    Thanks, WT

Weldtutor,
    Unfortunately, the motor controllers that I'm making for the plasma cutter are taking a whole lot longer than anticipated, and I haven't gotten a chance to test the THC circuit that I'm making for it yet. I plan on activating the torch with a 24 volt relay that bypasses the switch on the two purple wires. The Z up/down pulses will be controlled with a PIC16f877, and I'll use a hall effect based current sensor to monitor the current through the torch.
    I'll give more details when I finally get around to working on that part of the project.

-Matt

Matt, Thanks for the reply.
    The torch conversion pictured was an interesting approach. I'll look for your future posts as the project progresses.
    WT

Drivers

I just drive my stepper motors with linisteppers and a 12volt power supply. I can only achieve about 60ipm without missing steps which is plenty quick for cutting all but really thin metal, but I do wish that my machine could rapid quicker sometimes, maybee Gecko's and servos will fix the speed problem someday when the budget will allow.

the way I did it was by following plasmacams video. follow the bunch of small wires coming into the plasma machine from the torch. should be a group of about 5 or so wires. they go to a plug. make sure you machine is not plugged in and has been off for at least 30 minutes. just be safe. pull the plug the wires go to. take an ohm meter, keep putting it between any two connections an the torch side. pull the trigger doing all the combinations off the plug till you find 2 wires that are closing the trigger. either one of these can be cut and splice the 2 wires from the cnc between the cut. put the plug back on, if you tiewrap the trigger closed, then connecting these 2 wires will start your torch, so connecting these to the cnc relay or wires will turn on the torch. You should also need a connection to read voltage. they are taking that off where the ground and electrode are connected in the machine., again using an ohm meter from the electrode to where it connects in the box and the ground where it connects in the box. i would have no idea where you would connect them on the cnc side to get the readings though..

Dave

what type of relay are you using? I know it needs to be optically coupled, but dont really know where to get one, or exactly what specs it needs? any help?

I have a customer trying to control the torch of a powermax 380, he want to use one of my solid state relays to start the torch. I have never had one of those units in my hands and had no access to wiring diagrams, but from I read from your discussion, the 5 amp ac solid state optically isolated relay should work fine http://www.cnc4pc.com/AC_Relay_Board.htm. Can any body provide any feedback on this? Maybe this relay will also work for you guys?

Arturo Duncan

It looks to me like this unit would work quite nicely to controll a Hypertherm Plasma cutter. I Have a 350 model which is just the older version of the 380, and it uses 28Vac thru the two purple wires that come into the machine from the torch trigger. I believe that is uses a very small amperage, but I really have no easy to check, but the purple wires are pretty small, 20ga or less I would say just by guessing.

I am willing to send a demo unit. Many people ask about using it to control a plasma torch and it is very important for me to test it. I will apreciate the help I can get. with this. If some can install one of these units I will apreciate it. You can email me ofline at [email protected]

I purchased the cnc4pc ac relay today, we will see what happens in the next couple of weeks hopefully. I need to wire the power supply, drivers... then tune the motors, i will try to figure out how to turn on the torch first to see if the relay works. give me a week or two, ill keep you posted. arturod, hurry up that shipping and we will see faster...haha

CNC4pc controller

I am happy to report that the demo unit that Arturo from CNC4PC sent me to test works very well with my Hypertherm plasma cutter. Installation couldn't possibly be much simpler as there are only 4 wires to hookup, two for the AC device (I would call this the load), and two others that you hook to a selected pin of your parallel port and to ground. When MachX, sets the selected pin Hi the device turns your connected load on. On my particular plasma cutter (max 350) this meant that I had to splice into the two purple wires that come from the micro switch inside of the torch handle. When the plasma cutter senses a complete circut between these two wires it fires up the plasma cutter, it all works very nicely. I should add that the little relay board is very nicely made, and I personally can't see why I would ever try to build such a device myself again when you can just buy one for $15.00 from Arturo. I should add to be honest that Arturo is going to let me keep the test unit that he sent me, but otherwise I have no affiliation with him, but I am quite impressed by his little low cost relay board, and I think that it will come in very handy for others who wish to control their plasma cutters thru their parallel ports.

Trevor Hinze

trevorhinze can you please give me the hand torch conversion switch on the 600

trevorhinze Can you please email me the Power max hand torch switch set up. This the the final step for me finishing my home mad cnc plasma cutter. Thanks Please email to [email protected]

Can someone explain to me why they are converting hand torches for mechanized use? Why not just use the mechanized torches that are available for these plasma systems...and interface to the start signal that is easily available at the power supply?

Jim Colt

Page 1 of 2 12