585,758 active members*
4,619 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: chamfering

chamfering

How do most of you set up a chamfering tool? Since most have a flattened tip, how do you determine where Z zero is?

Then how do you measure them? I have a call for a .032-.035 45 degree chamfer on a 1.002-1.000 hole. I don't have a comparitor or a chamfer guage.

I have been setting the machine at an x distance from the center of the hole which I have determined for my tool path, Then I take chamfering tool down by hand and touch it off on the hole edge, set z-zero. But it is hard to see when you have touched off.

For touching down I've used a piece of paper (usually about .002) - pulling it back and forth until it scratches. For a 45 degree chamfer you'd go down 1/2 the depth of the chamfer you'd need. Did that make sense?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: chamfering

Originally posted by Mortek
    How do most of you set up a chamfering tool? Since most have a flattened tip, how do you determine where Z zero is?

Then how do you measure them? I have a call for a .032-.035 45 degree chamfer on a 1.002-1.000 hole. I don't have a comparitor or a chamfer guage.

I have been setting the machine at an x distance from the center of the hole which I have determined for my tool path, Then I take chamfering tool down by hand and touch it off on the hole edge, set z-zero. But it is hard to see when you have touched off.
    I program my chamfer tools with an assumed tip dia of .01". This eliminates the need to program for each tool you have in your inventory, since they may all be different. Then I set to the theoretical tip of the tool, raising it .025 or so for safty. Then when you run your part, mark the corner of the part with a black felt marker, run your tool, it should be above the part. Stop the machine while it's 'cutting' above the marked area of the part. Now hit reset, jog, spindle on, Z- until you touch, you should be able to see it easily with the black marker trick. Set tool height, offset tool height Z- amount of chamfer, then Z+ the value in the program that the tool goes. That should put you real close.

Check this out.. it might give you an idea on ways to measure. Like it says, I have .001-.004 edge breaks, with no optical comparator.

HTH

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: chamfering

Originally posted by Mortek

I program for Z0 and manually set chamfers at the machine.
    For your .032 to .035 chamfer how about setting it / checking it with gage pins.

jon

Ya want to do it right you have to find a comparator, determine the theoretical point and trig it from there. ( I always use my CAD so I don't have to remember trig.) Trial cuts work but every time you replace the tool or reposition in the holder you have to start all over again.
    Jim
    www.picopascal.com