584,800 active members*
4,822 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > ZW3D CAM > Warning, threading tool library gotcha

Warning, threading tool library gotcha

Very FIRST part I cut on my new Haas VF4 had a 1/4 x 18 TPI tap. I program this part for the first time in 2012 as compared to V14.5 which was the last time I programed for this. 14.5 worked fine.

I just accepted without paying attention to the numbers ZW input for speeds and feeds on this as I had never had trouble before. First two holes sounded a little labored, this was in 12G 304 ss, and on the third hole the tap shattered. I am thinking WTF here!!!

So I find a copy of the old program which had a different S&F. Now I am curious. An online S&F calculator shows 200 rpm and a 11.112 IPM feed rate. ZW2012 inputs for this tool 850 rpm rough and 1000 rpm finish. Feed is 430mm rough and 250mm finish. Using data from the calculator produced good threads. ZW's produced good scrap.

Now the VX and now ZW tool library has never been much with a pretty skimpy selection but this is a new problem. At least what used to be there was accurate insofar as taps go.

I am thinking the same code gurus that screwed up the ZW forums must be busy organizing the tool data to.

Brian, here is one for you to turn in if you want. I am not going to as this is just more the icing on the cake. After Solid Edge comes up with a partnership of any sort with a CAM product I am outta ZW CAM to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ScreenHunter_01 May. 27 07.40.jpg   ScreenHunter_02 May. 27 07.41.jpg  

I've just upgraded to ZW3D 2012, so far so good. It meets all of my needs but there are still a few things that could be improved. I'd love if there was 3D dimensioning... Fingers crossed that it is added soon!

Hey lapuser, if you have any questions about ZW3D, why don't you directly contact them? Oh by the way I was on the official forum and found a post that discussed this same "problem" from someone called cutter... and it was solved by a support guy. Is this a coincidence??lol
    Tap gotcha in CAM, BEWARE - ZW3D CAD/CAM - ZWSOFT Forums - Find. Share. Connect.