585,748 active members*
3,753 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

hypertherm 45 cut quality

Making a few first test cuts. Just finished my cnc plasma with candcnc electronics. I have a powermax 45 with machine torch cutting 12 gauge .100 steel at 190 inches per minute as per the hypertherm manual. The parts I am getting have a .030 tapper around the bottom of the parts (bottom is .030 wider than top. I was hoping to get a square edge I think the problem will worsen as I go thicker on material. I am realy new to this and just want to know if this is to be expected. The material is pretty thin and I guess I just expected a better square cut. the torch is straite the bevel is the same around the whole part. I am going with the cut speeds right out of the hypertherm manual. Do I need to slow down the cut or go faster to get a square edge? Or is this to be expected?

Shane

Seems fast but I don't have any charts at the moment, I like to use hypertherm's "best cut" settings as they are slow enough to insure a good edge with minimal dross.
    Andy

Ya, it seamed a little fast to me, but 190 is the slower setting in the manual for best cut quality.

HT's setting may or may not even get you in the ballpark. Also are you sure your cutting the right direction? We have customers who build from our CNC gantry kits and go from just hooking up their plasma to a 20,000 line program scene and expect perfection without any testing of speed and amperage. Do some line and circle test with different tip volt settings, amperages and speeds to determine what works best with your plasma system. The other thing to consider is if you are using the hand torch tip you will not get good height readings...meaning you may drag the tip at the tip volt preset that works best. If you are using the hand torch switch out the tip for the machine torch consumable.
    Now featuring Plasmaland online

The most important functions when trying to control edge quality with plasma are height, cut speed and consumables choice/power setting. Too high off the material causes a larger edge taper.

The Powermax 45 should be operated using the machine shield at 45 amps at .06" off the material. Your taper is excessive.....meaning that (assuming your speed was correct) the height was probably too high. Don't expect perfectly square edges with an air plasma......and edge taper (angularity) will be worse on thin, better as you cut thicker.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by z28 View Post
    Making a few first test cuts. Just finished my cnc plasma with candcnc electronics. I have a powermax 45 with machine torch cutting 12 gauge .100 steel at 190 inches per minute as per the hypertherm manual. The parts I am getting have a .030 tapper around the bottom of the parts (bottom is .030 wider than top. I was hoping to get a square edge I think the problem will worsen as I go thicker on material. I am realy new to this and just want to know if this is to be expected. The material is pretty thin and I guess I just expected a better square cut. the torch is straite the bevel is the same around the whole part. I am going with the cut speeds right out of the hypertherm manual. Do I need to slow down the cut or go faster to get a square edge? Or is this to be expected?

Shane

Jim, im ready to purchase a Hypertherm to replace my everlast. Any suggestions on where to buy, or possibly you have a hookup for cnczone members?

PM me....

Thanks,

--John

John,

Hypertherm sells all of its products through welding supply dealers and through OEM cutting machine builders....any special deals would be done through our dealers. You can go to Choose your region and language | Hypertherm and click on "where to buy" and it will find all of the local dealers for you. You can also google Powermax45 and will find dealers that sell online.

I always caution people about buying online simply for the lowest price....if there are issues regarding service or warranty....that service generally will have to be taken care of by the dealer that sold it. Personally I prefer to buy welding and cutting equipment from my local dealer....often they will get close to the online price and maybe throw in some extras like gloves, glasses, etc.

Thanks for considering the Hypertherm...you will not regret it!

Best regards, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
    Jim, im ready to purchase a Hypertherm to replace my everlast. Any suggestions on where to buy, or possibly you have a hookup for cnczone members?

PM me....

Thanks,

--John

Quote Originally Posted by z28 View Post

Shane
    The correct consumables for merchandised cutting are importnt. While the numbers in the cut charts are a good place to start you may need to adjust the numbers to get optimum cuts on your machine,
    1. The important thing is Arc gap and that is controlled by changing the PRESET VOLTS. You can bump it one volt at a time with the screen buttons. You wan the arc gap to be the recommended amount....cahgne the voltage to make it the correct height. When you find the best value for that material and .current setting cahnge it in the CUT PROFILE and SAVE it so next time you cut that material it's in the library.

2. Feedrates may also need to be adjusted. We run at about 90% of what the chart calls for.

3. Use good dry air and sett he pressure per the chart.

4. Use the smallest nozzle size and current for a listed material. the thinner the kerf the less flare.

Expect some flare on cuts but not as much as you are seeing.

TOMcaudle
    www.CandCNC.com