585,877 active members*
3,968 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle speed controler and encoder

Hi, could a spindle speed controler be made using a kind of servo controler? This would make setup easy to make within mach and others.

When you take a look at it, a dremel is a dc motor so all it needs is a power stage and an encoder. What kind of home-made encoder would read speeds up to 30k RPM?

I was thinking of making a pwm with the pulses controled by the PC as a servo and install a disk encoder made with plastic sheet and IR LED and Receiver module (found in printers) but I don't yet understand how mach does speed control. Gotta read a bit more.

Can Mach3 read pulses at this speed? Maybe necessary to use a divider by 10 or 100. I'm launching the idea as I need a way to control speed in mach and of course this is a home made solution.

No ger, no stepper hooked on the pwm trim pot

Para
    Paraman, Parabeast, Paramachine, Parameter.
    The many in one and the one in the many.

Dremel and other Universal (ac/dc) type motors are series motors, which are generally coarse controlled by voltage averaging, and they are very difficult to control precisely.
    They are actually run in a run-away condition as the only thing that governs the top speed of a Universal motor at a given voltage is friction and/or load.
    A servo controller could be used to control a spindle, but it would have to be a suitable motor.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.