585,760 active members*
3,866 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC Air Spring Conversion

I purchased the LMS Air Spring Conversion kit for my CNC X2, but now I can't find the thread or web pages where the conversion was discussed! Can anyone point me to a thread or page where other's have documented how they did this conversion?

Well, I got no responses from this post so I just came up with my own solution. If anyone else is looking for ideas on how to do this, here is mine.

Hi cce1911
    Read the data sheet for what ever gas support strut you are using as many of them recommend operating with the cylinder above the extendible shaft. This keeps the seals lubricated and extends the service life.

Also mount with some form of UJ as these cylinders are not designed to operate with any side thrust.

Regards - Pat

Quote Originally Posted by wildwestpat View Post
    Hi cce1911
    Read the data sheet for what ever gas support strut you are using as many of them recommend operating with the cylinder above the extendible shaft. This keeps the seals lubricated and extends the service life.

Also mount with some form of UJ as these cylinders are not designed to operate with any side thrust.

Regards - Pat
    Yes, you are correct. I need to swap ends of air spring. Since the directions that came with the kit were for the manual mill, I did not really follow them and did not think about this issue when I was installing it. It should be pretty easy to do. Thanks for pointing it out.

BTW, what do you suggest for the joint?
    -Capel

The air springs I have used all came with a threaded dead eye similar to the one in the attached file. These are known as rod end bearings and are available from most bearing suppliers in various threads both male and female to suit the threads on your air spring. Rod end plain bearing swivel they are available in various qualities and the plain metal ones are ok for this application.

Regards - Pat
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by wildwestpat View Post
    The air springs I have used all came with a threaded dead eye similar to the one in the attached file. These are known as rod end bearings and are available from most bearing suppliers in various threads both male and female to suit the threads on your air spring. Rod end plain bearing swivel they are available in various qualities and the plain metal ones are ok for this application.

Regards - Pat
    Thanks Pat. I can get these at McMaster-Carr.