585,762 active members*
4,085 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Probing the 4th

Well I guess the title sums it up. I have now used most of the routines in the VQC. Got me to wondering, any way to probe one of the gaps in the rotary table to establish an A axis 0?
    Gary

Why not probe 2 points on a jaw to establish the angle of the jaw?

The VQC programs are a great starting point to get you familiar with the system. Now that you have some experience with the Renishaw tools, pull out the programming manual that should have came with the package and start going through it and learn how it all works in greater detail. The manual is available through Renishaws site also if you do not have it. Look for Inspection Plus Software Programming Manual, or something similar.

Once you understand the code and how it works, you will start to open up all kinds of new applications for your parts and/or integrate routines into your programs.

To answer your question though, as long as the surface is something the probe can reach, you can probe it and use the data however you like.

Good luck!

Why not probe 2 points on a jaw to establish the angle of the jaw?
    Hadn't thought of it that way..mmmm
    Look for Inspection Plus Software Programming Manual, or something similar.
    I will look but the info that came with the machine seems very limited, but I can change the battery's in 4 languages though
    But now I have specific terms to look for.
    Thanks,
    Gary

Gary, after posting I tried to find the manual, but it looks like Renishaw changed their site and may only be available for maintenance clients.

My manual p/n is: H-2000-6031-0A-A.

Googling this number I found a newer version that should work, see below. If not, contact your HFO and see if they will get you a copy.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...A6p0uaGGcpeRFg

Hey thanks a bunch for that link, that is more like a manual I thought "should" have come with the machine. I will check to see if I can get a paper version also.
    Gary

I used trig and programs copied from the haas's IPS (?) output to solve this problem in the B axis of our trunion. I don't have the program on me, (I will try and nab a copy of the program I have for this tomorrow), but the idea is, if you have a flat surface (the fixture that holds the part, or a jaw) that is nearly level, probe it in two points, in your case along the Y axis, use the results of that data, (the work offset that were set in my case) then use the change in Z, change in Y, and some trig to figure out what the slope of the surface is. Enter incremental mode, rotate the axis that number of degrees in the proper direction, and programmatically tell the machine that it's current rotation position is it's now it's zero. I should point out however, I have no idea how to rotate the axis, to accomplish this feat, so If you are wanting to set it by picking up the T-slot this concept is of no use. (although, I can think of way to do this if the center of rotation is already known.)

Use macro O9818 " 4th Axis Y Measurement ". I use O9817 x measurement all the time for truing surfaces to the spindle on my horizontal mill. I you need the specific pages from the manual, I can upload them for you.

Here is that segment of code I promised,

Code:
    (POSITION TRUNION) 
    M00 
    G90 G54 G00 A0. B0. 

(CALL PROBE) 
    G00 G90 G54 
    T24 M06 
    X-2. Y0.183 
    G43 H24 Z4. 

(PROBE - SINGLE SURFACE IN Z LEFT SIDE) 
    G65 P9995 W55. A20. H-0.3 
    G00 Z5. 
    X2. 
    Z4. 
    (PROBE - SINGLE SURFACE IN Z RIGHT SIDE) 
    G65 P9995 W56. A20. H-0.3 

(RETRACT AWAY) 
    G00 G91 G28 Z0.

(DO THE MATH) 
    #19= [ [ #5243 - #5263 ] / 4 ] 
    #19= ATAN[ #19 ] 
    G91 B - [ ROUND[ #19 ] ] 

(CODE SO NICE YOU MUST SAY IT TWICE) 
    #5225= #5025 
    #5225= #5025 
    (END PROBE)
    I looks like you already found a copy of the Inspection Plus book, if not hit me up and I can email you one.