584,817 active members*
4,731 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

arduino wiring to stepper motor

Hi experts

I have an arduino with grbl installed in it and I want use it along with uln2003 drivers.
    According to the the grbl code there are step/drive output for each motor and as you know uln2003 is accepting 4 inputs and outputting 4 outputs. So I tried to use some cmos and logic functions to wire the arduino grbl to the uln2003 but I stuck with the staff so someone could help me wiring the arduino pins to the drivers then the motors

Thank you

You have a mismatch here because grbl outputs step and direction signals, while the uln2003 is simply a set of drivers that can be used to send current through motor windings.

What is missing is a way to convert the step and direction signals into the motor winding energization pattern that will give the motor behavior that you want.

Maybe that's what you were trying to do with the external cmos logic. You will not be able to do what you want by merely hooking up the arduino to the uln2003 inputs and hooking up the uln2003 outputs to your motor windings.

You may be able to get what you want by modifying the grbl code to output the desired motor phase excitation pattern rather than outputting step and direction signals, but that effort is beyond the scope of something that can be covered in a forum post. But then maybe somebody else has already done such a thing.

Thank you doorknob for the answer, it is possible to change the code so it fits to the pattern but it will take time and effort as I'm still discovering the code and I don't really 100% know what does what in the code

Quote Originally Posted by MASNSN View Post
    Thank you doorknob for the answer, it is possible to change the code so it fits to the pattern but it will take time and effort as I'm still discovering the code and I don't really 100% know what does what in the code
    You're on the right track, just note that the ULN2003 is a wimpy chip, they are for small steppers.
    To configure the code you need the grbl source, you download it on the same page you downloaded the Hex files.
    with that source you make the changes you need and recompile in Hex.

Hope that helps,

Rob
    what is a cnc