585,992 active members*
5,795 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Homemade CNC Indexer

The indexer is complete and works quite well. Backlash is very minumal. I used a 30 tooth wormgear and worm purchased on Ebay. I wanted strong gears.

larger picture

See it run, Careful audio is loud

To address the backlash issue I mounted the worm and worm gear is separate blocks of
    castiron. I surface ground the mating surfaces to reduce backlash (gear clearance) and not have the gears bind. I have the backlash to almost "0"

The worm is mounted in its own block of castiron and inside a pocket. Endplay of the worm is in the area of .0005". Notice the key is about the same length as one of the spacers. I almost made something that could not be assembled.

Larger view of worm assembly

Surface grinding the gear fit.
    Grinding gear fit

More pics of Indexer

Hope this was of interest.
    Jim
    www.outbackmachineshop.com

Beautiful work Jim.

bob

would you be interested in sharing or selling your prints on this work of art?

Thanks for the interest but there are no prints on my indexer. It was made with ideas in my head and designed as I went. I spent many hours thinking about building the indexer before I started.

The worm and wormgear were purchased on Ebay and the indexer was built around those components.

If there is enough interest I can make drawings on Solidworks and save them as .pdf so everyone can see them.

Now I'm thinking about building another indexer that is even more compact to be used as a toolchanger for my Denford CNC lathe.

Denford CNC lathe retrofit

Thanks for the comments,
    Jim
    www.outbackmachineshop.com

Nice job Jim.

Re: Homemade CNC Indexer

Quote Originally Posted by jimglass View Post
    The indexer is complete and works quite well. Backlash is very minumal. I used a 30 tooth wormgear and worm purchased on Ebay. I wanted strong gears.

larger picture

See it run, Careful audio is loud

To address the backlash issue I mounted the worm and worm gear is separate blocks of
    castiron. I surface ground the mating surfaces to reduce backlash (gear clearance) and not have the gears bind. I have the backlash to almost "0"

The worm is mounted in its own block of castiron and inside a pocket. Endplay of the worm is in the area of .0005". Notice the key is about the same length as one of the spacers. I almost made something that could not be assembled.

Larger view of worm assembly

Surface grinding the gear fit.
    Grinding gear fit

More pics of Indexer

Hope this was of interest.
    Jim
    Hi;
    great work!
    if you surface grind or machine the face of the worm holding block, at an angle of say 1 degree relative to the axis of the worm, the backlash can be made adjustable , by sliding the block against the table body
    hope that this help
    Mariano

Do you mind sharing the seller on Ebay Jim? I only seem to be able to find fairly dodgy looking ones, although that might be a geoip thing with Ebay.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Looks verry nice i work on an trunnion for 5 axis maybe i use you Inspiration ..

Gesendet von meinem SM-G800F mit Tapatalk