585,741 active members*
5,059 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Inches, how can you live in stoneage?
Page 4 of 4 234
    I just used and measured some NEW 25 x 5 flat steel.
    Thickness: 5.00mm
    Width: 25.4 mm -- 1" (with the rounded edges)

On a Chinese machine: hinge. 40mm long. Screws on 1.00" centers.
    Looks like I am doing ok using both.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Weird, I still use barleycorns...
    Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver!

Quote Originally Posted by tjb1 View Post
    The problem I have is with using the imperial system so much I have a hard time comparing measurements in my head. Ex. 10cm, I couldnt tell you off hand how big that is without really thinking about it. Only reason I can do temperature decently is because I know 0C is freezing and 100c in boiling. I guess it would be like learning a new language, once you can associate everything with what you're use to its not that bad.
    Spot on.

FREEDOM2MEASURE.ORG

Hmm, they dont seem to have update the past 11 years.

"Metricators" is a new name to me by the way, this seem to be a
    sensitive question for some people, "part of your heritage" etc.
    Even sexism is mentioned.

Now dont take my irony serious, they are probably some outbreakers from the flat earth assosiation.

And i can live with the Imperial system to, no problem. I just translate
    the measures, and keep in mind that the plan view is different to.
    American projection is different to European projection.
    (We draw objects as they fall so to speak)

But we also have "The metric association"

U.S. Metric Association (USMA)

No 5hi7!

Unit mixups

Winning long jump record lost

What happened

University of Houston sophomore track star Carol Lewis made a record-breaking long jump at the NCAA Men's and Women's Indoor Track Championship, 11–12 March 1983 in Pontiac, MI.

However, her jump did not qualify as an official record.

Why it happened

To be considered as official records, college sports track and field measurements must be metric. However, officials hosting the games refused to use metric tapes. As a result, the non-metric measurements don't qualify as official records. For record-setting purposes, measurements cannot be converted to metric after the event.

[Source: American National Metric Council Metric Reporter, May 1983.]
    Olympic triple jump loss

What happened

At the 2004 Olympics in Athens, triple jump champion Melvin Lister was eliminated in the qualifying round. Although he had jumped 17.75 m in Sacramento the previous month, his top jump was only 16.64 m in Athens.

Why it happened

A Kansas City Star article quoted Lister as saying, “Nobody told me they were only going to have metric out there. I couldn't figure out what my mark was.” And from the 21 August 2004 Los Angeles Times:

Lister blamed his problems on trackside officials' refusal to allow him to use his measuring tape, which measures distances in feet and inches and serves as a guidepost for him. He said he was told the tape “might hurt somebody” because of a spiked attachment and was told to use a metric tape, but he didn't have one and couldn't work with the metric tape organizers supplied.

“Nobody told me I need one,” he said. “Coming down, I need my running speed and to trust in my approach.”

Teammate Walter Davis, who advanced with a leap of 16.94 meters, scoffed at Lister's excuse. “When you're coming overseas, you've got to have a metric tape,” he said. “Mine is in feet and meters. You've got to come prepared.”

And finally, a poem:
    Let's have some appreciation
    in these days of tribulation
    for rules of metrication.
    Length is measured by meter
    and volume is measured by liter.
    Hams, lamps, and yams
    can all be weighed in grams.
    Choose a book that has a map.
    Place the book upon your lap.
    Consider distance, oh gentle readers,
    and convert the miles to kilometers.
    Nation after nation has made the swing to metric.
    Isn't it time we took the plunge
    and made measurement less hectic?
    Source: network54.com

Happy measuring

It may be helpful for Imperialists to consider metric components in terms of the base unit, in a similar form of notation; eg an M20 thread could alternatively be expressed as a 1/50 - 400 TPM

DP

Metric system still has monkeys on its back. When do the metric-ophiles plan to tackle the time issue? 60 seconds/minute, 60 minutes/hour, 24 hours/day, 7 days/week, 52 weeks/year, 365 days/year. All of which have to be fudged with leap seconds AND leap days to match Earth orbit. :stickpoke How useful will the light-year be when standing on Mars since the word "year" has a different meaning there?

Further, metric has no place in the world of computer logic where everything is binary, octal, hexadecimal, etc. We use Base2 (bits) and Base8 (Bytes) to express memory storage capacity. The computer has to do a lot to convert these numbers in the Base10 we humans are comfortable with.

Metric does not make rotation measurements handy. 360 degrees with arc-minutes and arc-seconds. Or using radians, there are 2 x pi = 6.283185.... an easy conversion to work with.

I am not against metric measurements. There are countless places where the metric units are much more convenient than Imperial. I am against those who want to tell everyone to use the same system regardless of what they are measuring just so outsiders can do conversions more easily. :banana:

Quote Originally Posted by rocketflier View Post
    I don't have metric handy...

What's metric done for you lately?
    This image shows what the inch system DID for a lot of time regarding measurement.

The problem is that evolution in measurement goes a lot faster than human evolution, today we hardly use our hands for measurement, but we still have 10 fingers like 1 million years ago.
    Its far easy to do calculations in base 10 than in any other base, because we have 10 fingers.

Pablo
    ● Distribuidor Syil en Argentina ● "www.syil.com.ar" ●

christinandavid; Why this, M20*2,5 is a standard issue. In mechanical engineering no one use m, instead we use mm. Thats the advantage, you can simply make a subsytem of the ISO Units with shifting the comma through 3 or sometimes 2 or 1 places. With imperial units you must multiply or divide by different Factors.
    But sometimes the english system with simply dividing is better. At angledegrees the 360 is much better than the "metric" 400 gon system. Simply because a right angle can divided by 2, 3, 6, 12 that was often used angles. With a dividing head its simpler to work with fraction numbers than with decimals.

Caprirs; Napoleon would introduce a metric year with a 10 Day week, 100 Minutes and so on. But thanks god he can't establish this bad idea. And the computer has nothing to do with any measuring system, because it comes later.
    Maybe the first home computer (4 or 8 bit) could work better with the inches/fractional system, but today, with 64bit representation of a number, you don't have any to calculate with all kind of numberbases.

I have worked in both systems and prefer the metric, but if the americans prefer there systems, why not, as long they don't force us in Europe to use this. I think in Asia they could have another different sytem, but never heard about it.

Quote Originally Posted by PEU View Post
    This image shows what the inch system DID for a lot of time regarding measurement.

The problem is that evolution in measurement goes a lot faster than human evolution, today we hardly use our hands for measurement, but we still have 10 fingers like 1 million years ago.
    Its far easy to do calculations in base 10 than in any other base, because we have 10 fingers.

Pablo
    So.......You are still counting on your fingers?

Americans do some calculation mentally, use a pencil or sometimes a calculator.

I think the man intended to illustrate that he had a way to get "close" on measurements without a measuring device and he asked if metric could do that.

You have tried to rip him up without answering him. That is what one does when he has been defeated.

Silly argument anyway!!
    “ In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by uli12us View Post
    christinandavid; Why this, M20*2,5 is a standard issue. In mechanical engineering no one use m, instead we use mm. Thats the advantage, blah blah blah
    Maybe you should adopt the English sense of humour, much more flexible than the metric version...

DP

Quote Originally Posted by PEU View Post

Pablo
    Base 12 is best (2s,3s,4s,6s as opposed to 2s and 5s), and last time I looked I had eight fingers...

DP

Quote Originally Posted by jhowelb View Post
    Americans do some calculation mentally, use a pencil or sometimes a calculator.
    I agree, I find it a lot easier to carve the notches in my pencil (and I can re-use it six times) shame to ruin a calculator...

mm...thats a mil'

mmm........thats a micron, I suppose

mmmm.....thats what I say when I see a very tight tolerance

Let's all raise a flag to British Superiority :bs:

DP

Quote Originally Posted by uli12us View Post
    christinandavid;
    But sometimes the english system with simply dividing is better. At angledegrees the 360 is much better than the "metric" 400 gon system.
    Where you were digging to find the "400 gon system"? no one I know uses it, no paper I read uses it, maybe some obscure wikipedia article includes it, but thats it. Everyone uses 360º to describe a full turn.

I'm not trying to convince or become victorious over a futile battle such as metric vs inch.
    The vast majority of the world uses the metric system for a reason.

Pablo
    ● Distribuidor Syil en Argentina ● "www.syil.com.ar" ●

Page 4 of 4 234