586,009 active members*
4,775 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

Wetland CNC Build (WOODEN BUILD)

Well here it goes. A rack and pinion, 4 motor, 3 axis CNC built from 2 sheets of BB plywood that is mobile. Electronics include Gecko G540, 381oz motors, 12.5 amp power supply. The computer being used to control it all will be a Pentium D 3.0 Ghz. I am still undecided for software.

The machine was completely 3D modeled and a cut list drawn up before I ever turned on a saw on the shop.

The main point of this build, besides getting a CNC machine, was to see how well operating of a machine could be made out of wood while:

1) Saving money on parts I could make so I could spend more on others
    2) Having a fun project to occupy me during down time
    3) Spark some interest from my wood working associates
    4) Give back to the community by doing something a little different

The videos will tell the story better than words so I will let them do the talking.

Also some of the things I talk about in the videos may be well known around here... but I wanted everyone to understand what exactly I am doing and why it does that. (Most importantly See #3 above)

Videos are here and will be updated as I can:

rawdawgs50 - YouTube

Updated videos. Saw that I could embed them as well.

Interesting concept Jason (?). I have thought of doing the same myself with a build to test out the feasibility of using ali extrusion and machine sizing. Will be watching your thread with interest.

Cheers
    Bruce

Great build! Really enjoy looking at the way your are going about it!

Several years ago, I built a base for my ShopBot PRT from laminated plywood and MDF. I did not use lag screws to secure the X axis rails because I was concerned that they might work loose with time as fairly high forces are placed on the rails. For that reason, I chose to run bolts completely through the laminated wood so that the rails would be secured with a stronger bolt and nut. This has held up for nearly 10 years. Here's a couple of photos of what I did:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _DSC0617.JPG   _DSC0618.JPG  

Good idea Don, thanks. I will call that plan B. I am thinking with some thread lock and lock washers added to the mix the lag screws will hold tight. But only time will tell. If it moves...plan B goes into full effect.

Glad you are enjoying it...that makes two of us.

:cheers: Great job so far Jason. Great timing for me also as I'm just about ready to start building my base for my router. I already have all the Aluminum 80/20 parts the my machine so i'll be using that.

I'll be watching.

Chuck

Nice build.

A little of topic but how does that digital gauge on the thickness planer work? Is it referencing the bed surface or is it referencing the lead screw? Was it an after market add on?

Thanks.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by OCNC View Post
    A little of topic but how does that digital gauge on the thickness planer work? Is it referencing the bed surface or is it referencing the lead screw? Was it an after market add on?
    Here's a good source for digital readouts on woodworking machines (including thickness planers): Wixey: Digital Readouts

Thanks Don.

The planer uses a custom readout. Scroll down the list of my videos, I have a complete write up on it.

I do not believe wixey has this setup for a stationary machine....but so check into that.

All I know its this offers more accuracy than my other wixey stuff and cost $30.

Jason, thank you for your very detailed video sequences. They describe your build very well.
    I would be very interested in any measurements that you can do on the deflection of your gantry as you apply a known force. Are you planning on this type of characterization?
    Cheers!
    pr

Page 1 of 4 123