585,956 active members*
4,560 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help with FSE 40W Deluxe Hobby Laser

Recently aquired a FSE 40W Deluxe Hobby Laser from a friend. They told me that the power supply blows its fuse. The first time was during a cut operation. The second time was right after the machine is turned on.. Now it blows both fuses when just turning the key. If the fuse by the power cord is replaced and the power supply fuse removed the light and the fan work. Need some help trying to troubleshoot this machine. Do you think its just the power supply that died? My friend told me that the unit has a few days of cutting on it. Nothing is plugged in to the back of the unit.

Sometimes the fan will cause the fuse to blow. The fan in your laser does absolutely nothing. I would try clipping one of the wires that go to it. Also try unhooking the fluorescent light, those will also cause fuses to blow on occasion. If none of those fix the problem, I would buy another power supply. But don't buy it though FSL as they will gouge you. You can find the same ones they sell on ebay for much cheaper. Also, don't bother calling FSL to help trouble shoot as they will refuse support to people who weren't the original purchaser.

blowing fuses

I agree...

Often the lighting assembly in small laser machines are just low quality. The factory will cut every possible corner during production of the tiny laser machines.. Just to save a few dollars.

1. Make sure the have a properly grounded power cable.
    2. Unplug the light fixture
    3. Unplug the power supplies
    4. Unplug the main power to each stepper motor amplifier.

.. hell .. unplug anything that can be seperated from the main circuit. Always be carefull.

You need to be able to turn on the laser machine without blowing a fuse... but have some spare fuses to keep testing with. There are some other tricks to use, but not exactly safe for the simple home hobbyists. (I can use a 100 watt light bulb in place of a fuse.. A BRIGHT light means that the circuit is trying to blow a fuse.)

After you get the laser machine to power up, then you have a list of parts that could be bad.. Those are the items that you have disconnected. Plug them back into the laser machine until one item causes the fuse to go. you might find that you had a stray strand of wire at the connector.. maybe there is a bad fan, maybe a bad stepper amplifier.. Finding out what is causing a fuse to keep blowing takes some time, but can be isolated with a bit of taking steps to isolate the trouble..

We are currently running a huge sale on laser machines in stock. Call or email to get a price quote.. Mention this email to get a 10% discount on all laser machines and parts.

Ray Scott
    Owner / Engineer
    Rabbit Laser USA
    513-217-5707